EvenComp - Kind of like the OddComp!

This forum is the place to discuss the older ADRIFT versions 3.9 and 4.0.

Please refer to the ADRIFT 4 Manual for more information.
alsnpk

Post by alsnpk »

I really enjoyed the OddComp and the games that came from it, so I'm considering hosting another competition springing from the idea that limitation can inspire creativity. If you know about the Odd Competition last year (http://www.adrift.org.uk/cgi/f/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=1;t=6682), this will sound pretty familiar to you...

Basically, you would need to pair up each one of these numbers: 2, 4, 8, 12, and 14, with one of these: rooms, objects, tasks, events, and characters, and have and use exactly the particular number you chose of each in the game; no more, no less. (For example, you could have 12 tasks, 14 objects, 2 characters, 8 rooms, and 4 events.)

Please note: Unregistered users would be able to enter this competition using ADRIFT 4.0; it'd be under the limits if the unregistered version. (see http://www.adrift.org.uk/cgi/f/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=4;t=6241)

Variables would not be restricted.

You could use the ALR any way you'd want to, with the exception of simulating a higher amount of rooms, objects, or characters than the number you chose of each. However, you could, of course, use it to change something like “You see no such thing” to be more applicable to your game.

You could enter up to two games, if you'd like to.

Would you be interested in entering if I start this up October 30th and end it around December 10th?

Let me know if you have any input or questions on this, too! This is just to see what people think, and it's not set in stone yet. :) (feel free to post in this thread or send me a private message; whichever you prefer)

Edit: By the way, I wouldn't be entering it this time personally, but that'd be good so I can just focus on hosting it.

Second edit: Originally the numbers were at 2, 4, 10, 20, and 20, but we decided it's better to go with something closer to the old competition.

Edited By alsnpk on 1256686977
Released:
For competitions: Business As Usual; Oh, Human; Existence (intro); Motion
Shared names demo: "Guys, Guys"

Works in various stages of progress:
Y'know, things and stuff...
justahack

Post by justahack »

Sounds interesting. I'd enter.
Works in progress:

Silo. 20%
ralphmerridew

Post by ralphmerridew »

It overlaps the IF comp. You might want to redate it to avoid that.
Bloodhounds can make you laugh and cuss in the same breath. They are endearing, faithful, and can sling drool ten feet in any direction. -- Virginia Lanier
alsnpk

Post by alsnpk »

ralphmerridew wrote:It overlaps the IF comp. You might want to redate it to avoid that.
Any suggestions on that, then?
Released:

Duncan_B

Post by Duncan_B »

Ectocomp also overlaps with IFComp. FWIW, I think running EvenComp 'til December 10th would work, since IFComp will be over mid-November.

When are you thinking of setting the entry deadline? When would the voting deadline be?
Duncan_B

Post by Duncan_B »

Abbi, might you consider changing the numbers involved to 2, 4, 10, 14, and 20? I think having two 20s unbalances the set quite a bit.
Lumin

Post by Lumin »

Or even 2, 4, 8, 12, 16?

It'd be closer to the original comp, and 20 of anything isn't much of a limit in a small game.
alsnpk

Post by alsnpk »

Sure, I like the idea of keeping it at less than 20 and having the numbers all be different... I was just trying to make the amounts bigger than before. But, yeah, on second thought, it probably would be best for the sake of the competition to keep it smaller than 20 anyhow.

Now that you mention it, 16 even seems a little big, though I like that 2, 4, 8, 12, and 16 seems pretty well-balanced.

What do you guys think of 2, 4, 8, 10, 12? That's compared to 3, 5, 7, 9, 11. It'd be keeping the spirit of the old one better... Or should it be a little bigger than that?
Released:

djchallis

Post by djchallis »

Not that I'm promising an entry, but for a busy man like myself I'd be more inclined to enter if the limits were small, like the OddComp ones. They're frustrating at the time, but they make the game faster to write
So I'd go with Abbi's latest suggestion.

Edited By djchallis on 1256652941
Game in the works - Project Clocks - on hold for a bit.
Game finished - I am the Law for the OddComp. Looking forward to finishing Clocks so I can show what I can really do!
Current focus - Some microIF. Short experiments to test ideas and actually release something!
Duncan_B

Post by Duncan_B »

My vote is for 2, 4, 8, 10, 14. I imagine everyone could use the extra wiggle room for tasks...
djchallis

Post by djchallis »

Haha, true.
Game finished - I am the Law for the OddComp. Looking forward to finishing Clocks so I can show what I can really do!
Current focus - Some microIF. Short experiments to test ideas and actually release something!
alsnpk

Post by alsnpk »

Hmm... Somehow I don't like the combination of 2, 4, 8, 10, and 14 though; it just seems "uneven" to me.

How about 2, 4, 8, 12, and 14? That's even more even than what's there right now, plus it grants just a tiny bit more leeway than the 10 and 12.
Released:

Duncan_B

Post by Duncan_B »

Sounds good to me. Anyone else agree/disagree?
djchallis

Post by djchallis »

Agree.
Lumin

Post by Lumin »

Sounds good to me.

Now I just need to force myself to get on this, December 10th is just far enough away that I have time to completely forget about it and then suddenly remember like two days before the deadline...