EvenComp Voting - Which game should win?

This forum is the place to discuss the older ADRIFT versions 3.9 and 4.0.

Please refer to the ADRIFT 4 Manual for more information.

EvenComp Voting - Which game should win?

Attack of the Mutaydid Meat Monsters, by Duncan Bowsman
40%
Bringing the Rain, by Lumin, aka Jacqueline H.
40%
Perspectives, by Justahack
20%

Total votes: 10

alsnpk

Post by alsnpk »

Welcome to the voting thread for the Even Competition. :)

Download the games from: http://www.adrift.org.uk/cgi/new/download.cgi?1173

Cast your vote for your favorite!

Attack of the Mutaydid Meat Monsters, by Duncan Bowsman (Reviews here: http://www.adrift.org.uk/cgi/f/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=7;t=7220)

Bringing the Rain, by Lumin, aka Jacqueline H. (Reviews here: http://www.adrift.org.uk/cgi/f/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=7;t=7221)

Perspectives, by Justahack (Reviews here: http://www.adrift.org.uk/cgi/f/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=7;t=7222)

Here's the original thread for this competition, complete with rules: http://www.adrift.org.uk/cgi/f/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=1;t=7170

Thank you to the authors for their entries, and thanks to everyone who participates in the voting/reviewing!

Have fun!

Voting will close January 10th, 2010, or once the poll reaches 10 votes, whichever comes last.

Abbi

(PS- The winner gets a prize of $20, paid via their choice of either an Amazon gift certificate or through PayPal.)

Edited By alsnpk on 1261799163
Released:
For competitions: Business As Usual; Oh, Human; Existence (intro); Motion
Shared names demo: "Guys, Guys"

Works in various stages of progress:
Y'know, things and stuff...
Duncan_B

Post by Duncan_B »

Really excited to get into the games in this comp. Just downloaded 'em. I see that Perspectives has the most unique dispersal of its comp numbers, so my initial bias tells me I want to play it first, but I imagine I'll certainly have reviews ready for both of them by the 30th.

Here's to all involved. Break a leg.
Lumin

Post by Lumin »

So, is everyone waiting till after the voting to post comments on the games, or is it just that no one has actually played them? :crys:

Also, why is it that you only notice glaring flaws in your own game after you release it?
Cowboy

Post by Cowboy »

Lumin wrote:So, is everyone waiting till after the voting to post comments on the games, or is it just that no one has actually played them? :crys:

Also, why is it that you only notice glaring flaws in your own game after you release it?
I have played them... AND voted :p
I'm a BIG boy.. (getting extra candy for Christmas :dancer:

But you are right.. Lumin.. It looks a little poor at the moment... Let's hold our thumbs....
Ghost town V 1,05: Adrift best game of the year award 2009
WIP:
"Through Time" Idle
"D-Day" Prog rep: Feb 16
Char: 5 Events: 5 Tasks: 185 Objects: 156 Rooms: 34... Size 47Kb
alsnpk

Post by alsnpk »

Lumin wrote:So, is everyone waiting till after the voting to post comments on the games, or is it just that no one has actually played them? :crys:

Expect reviews from me, uh, within the week! I wanted to wait 'til I had time to properly review them instead of just throwing something together. So, I was thinking Monday, but ended up only getting halfway through them on Tuesday after work. So looks more like Wednesday.
Lumin wrote:Also, why is it that you only notice glaring flaws in your own game after you release it?

I hate that! Aah! Er... maybe we should be less good at procrastinating. 'Cause for the ones I've entered, I bet if I'd let my games sit for a week and then come back to them, I'd have been able to see the problems and fix 'em.

Edit: time.

Edited By alsnpk on 1261569764
Released:

Duncan_B

Post by Duncan_B »

Heh... I tried playing Meat Monsters the other night and noticed that the intro and winning images don't seem to show up. Unless I opened the wrong version of the file?

Well, that can be fixed in a second release.
Lumin

Post by Lumin »

Mine would be pretty easy to fix too, I just somehow completely failed to consider the fact that someone might start towards the mountains without snooping around the village and picking up a certain item first.

It's not gamebreaking or anything, it just a couple of descriptions that make me look really dumb. :(

Edited By Lumin on 1261404956
Ren

Post by Ren »

I have transcripts for anyone who wants them.
djchallis

Post by djchallis »

Six votes so far. It seems likely we'll get to January 10th before we get 10 votes.
I'll see if I can play the games & vote, but it won't happen right away - Uni starts Monday.
Game in the works - Project Clocks - on hold for a bit.
Game finished - I am the Law for the OddComp. Looking forward to finishing Clocks so I can show what I can really do!
Current focus - Some microIF. Short experiments to test ideas and actually release something!
alsnpk

Post by alsnpk »

Just two more votes needed to make ten!
Released:

Metron4

Post by Metron4 »

Hey Abbi, I don't know if you used my review submittals to calculate my vote or not, but you probably should since I wasn't able to vote in this poll. I clicked on the results button just to see what they were before I had even played the games, so it gave me a null vote. I haven't officially voted in this poll.
The mind boggles...
alsnpk

Post by alsnpk »

Ah, good point. I'll keep that in mind for the final results.

So that means we only need one more vote, but more than that are welcome too! :)
Released:

Duncan_B

Post by Duncan_B »

There were a couple other reviews written. Have those people also voted already? Are we still waiting for one more vote to close this thing?
dswxyz

Post by dswxyz »

Am I reading this correctly? Are we still waiting for 2 more votes?
Written: "Beanstalk the and Jack" * In progress: thinking about "Towers of H'Annoy"
alsnpk

Post by alsnpk »

Well, theoretically we're waiting for one... And depending on who that person decided to vote for, we could have a tie... But if the entrants prefer, we could close this now, seeing as it's been about a month past when it was supposed to close.
Released: