ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Accessibility for the blind?

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

Accessibility for the blind?

Postby Lumin » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:26 pm

So a fairly significant percentage of players (players who aren't grumpy old people like us) seeking out text games are people with low vision who for obvious reasons are wholly unimpressed with the newest shiny action RPG or whatever. I think this is the majority of MUD players now and I don't have statistics on IF and CYOAs but, I know they're there.

I'm having a friend from CYS look over the ADRIFT developer now and there seem to be some issues with edit boxes not being labeled etc. when using NVDA. (JAWS works a bit better, which I guess makes a certain amount of sense considering JAWS and ADRIFT both are some pretty old ass programs..)

There's also apparently a problem with writing descriptions that has her reader go over everything she's written with every letter she adds or deletes, which is annoying enough she'd have to disable the voice to make any serious attempt at writing.

Couple of other small issues she's encountered so far which I'll be compiling a list of once she's done with her initial test run. (Unless she wants to sign up herself.)

Not really related to her screen reader, but she had trouble finding the 'add intro and end game message' bits. I've always thought they were in a WEIRD place but it's nice to have it confirmed.

I know it's in question how actively Campbell's working on things atm but I figure this might be a useful thread for future reference when he's back in the game, or for if ADRIFT ever gets a remake or goes open source.
Currently working on: Nada. Zip. Zilch. [Check this space later.]
Lumin

Re: Accessibility for the blind?

Postby Lumin » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:32 pm

Update: Shocking revelation! v4 is much easier to use.
Currently working on: Nada. Zip. Zilch. [Check this space later.]
Lumin

Return to ADRIFT 5.0