ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

What does our developer look like?

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

What does our developer look like?

Postby Po. Prune » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:56 am

Now that the Thunderdome competition, and there has been a lot of talk about folders etc. I tought it wold be intresting to see how each of us use (organize) the V.5 Developer.
So here it is, a call to us, the few... the Band of Brothers, the last drifters etc.
Share a screen shot of your developer.
D-Day V.5 in progress 79Kb so far (slowly getting there)
Anno 1700 in progress 111Kb
Po. Prune

Re: What does our developer look like?

Postby Lazzah » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:46 pm

I like to keep an ordered developer, with folders for locations and all the associated objects, characters, tasks and events, etc., as per attached screenshot.

Developer.jpg
Developer.jpg (413.18 KiB) Viewed 182 times
OUT NOW: The Lost Children
Current W.I.P.: Magnetic Moon
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire
Lazzah

Postby Denk » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:03 pm

My developer pretty much looks like Lazzah's. However, I have the map at the top but I just make it very small when not using it.
Attachments
layout.jpg
layout.jpg (352.32 KiB) Viewed 177 times
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Out now: The Royal Puzzle, The Way Home & The Dragon Diamond
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Denk

Postby Lazzah » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:57 pm

A couple of tips: If you right-click on a folder you can remove that grey symbol ( what IS it supposed to be?) by hovering the cursor over View and selecting LIST. Also if you are working on in a particular location with associated objects, tasks, variables, etc, if you put an underline _ at the start of the name, it will appear at the TOP of the drop down lists of locations, tasks, etc., so you don't have to go searching for it. After you have finished referencing all the items with an underline, you can remove them so that the items assume their places in the alphabetical lists.

One of the most frequent tasks I select when creating actions in tasks is the LOOK task, so I have added two underlines so that this is always at the very top of the list.

Denk, your locations folder doesn't need to be that wide! If you reduce the width you can get more folders in. Look at mine.
OUT NOW: The Lost Children
Current W.I.P.: Magnetic Moon
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire
Lazzah

Postby Po. Prune » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:25 pm

Here's my contribution :|
It's interesting to see how we each use the developer. I'm not too much into having the map present. I prefer to use the Trizbort which is a great mapping tool. As for the various text I use Word and then copy / paste. That way I can use the spell checker and thus weed out the most grave errors.

Prune.jpg
Prune.jpg (274.48 KiB) Viewed 162 times
D-Day V.5 in progress 79Kb so far (slowly getting there)
Anno 1700 in progress 111Kb
Po. Prune

Postby rotter » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:10 pm

adrift.jpg
Adrift Developer
adrift.jpg (445.86 KiB) Viewed 145 times
I like a folder per location, with a few others for special stuff like any new commands I've created. Very rarely have the map open, unless I really need it.
Currently working on "The Blank Wall" in ADRIFT 5 and "Again and Again" in Inform 7.
Delron, the home of Otter Interactive Fiction.
rotter

Return to ADRIFT 5.0