ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Handling same object name?

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

Handling same object name?

Postby P/o Prune » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:35 am

In my game Anno 1700 the player is moved from one time era to another. However, he stays at the same location (the hotel)
That means that I have quite a few objects with the same name and location (except they’re 300 years apart)

Is it in any way possible to add a note to an object so you can distinguish between the two objects?

Right now I’m using 1700 after every object belonging to the 1700 era (ie. Window 1700). This works ok, but it means that, unless I expect the player to type 1700 after each object s/he handles, I’ll have to delete all the 1700’s one by one before releasing the game.
D-Day V.5 in progress 86Kb (On backburner)
Anno 1700 First beta test in progress.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Re: Handling same object name?

Postby Lazzah » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:14 pm

Hi Po,

All you need do is use the Replace function in the Home menu to replace all instances of 1700 with nothing.

Simples! :yeah:
OUT NOW: Run, Bronwynn, Run!
Current W.I.P.: Magnetic Moon
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire and The Lost Children
Lazzah

Re: Handling same object name?

Postby ralphmerridew » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:05 pm

IIUC,
For the displayed name, put the year in angle brackets (table <1700>) so it shows in Developer and not in Runner.
They, add appropriate synonyms without 1700.
Bloodhounds can make you laugh and cuss in the same breath. They are endearing, faithful, and can sling drool ten feet in any direction. -- Virginia Lanier
ralphmerridew

Return to ADRIFT 5.0