ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Readable Files in Text Adventures

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

Readable Files in Text Adventures

Postby RenatoDias » Sat May 12, 2018 12:57 am

Hey guys, I have another question to ask. First, some background. In the games I'm doing, I like to put a lot of readable files, so the player can get some complementing story when there isn't a cutscene or story-related talk. I make lots of files, such as memos between villains, code documents, journals that dead or missing story characters left behind, etc.

What do you guys think about that? A question for both players and developers.

PS: I like to write a lot, that's why my game has so many files to read.

For example, in my Cyberpunk game, I have memos between the CEO of the company that basically runs the city and the secretary of arts and culture such as this one:
RenatoDias

Re: Readable Files in Text Adventures

Postby rotter » Sat May 12, 2018 6:48 am

Speaking personally I like books and documents in a game I can read if I want to, it adds to the back story. It is feels better than task driven cut scenes as the player can control when to get the text dumps. Used something similar in my game Word of the Day. You will get mixed reviews from the players, some people do not like a lot of text to read, others like me love it.
Currently working on "The Blank Wall" in ADRIFT 5 and "Again and Again" in Inform 7.
Delron, the home of Otter Interactive Fiction.
rotter

Postby RenatoDias » Sat May 12, 2018 5:25 pm

Thank you for your feedback on that, Rotter.

As I said on the first post, I like to write a lot, that's why I also feel that documents add more to the storyline. The more information, the better, as I think. I know I may get mixed reviews from players who don't like to read, but this gets us on another point. If you* don't like to read a lot, why are you* playing a TEXT ADVENTURE or a CYOA?
*People who don't like to read too much.
And I love reading too, that's why the text adventure genre captivates me.
RenatoDias

Postby rotter » Sun May 13, 2018 6:11 am

RenatoDias wrote:Thank you for your feedback on that, Rotter.

As I said on the first post, I like to write a lot, that's why I also feel that documents add more to the storyline. The more information, the better, as I think. I know I may get mixed reviews from players who don't like to read, but this gets us on another point. If you* don't like to read a lot, why are you* playing a TEXT ADVENTURE or a CYOA?
*People who don't like to read too much.
And I love reading too, that's why the text adventure genre captivates me.

It is simple, you can't please anybody. Write the stuff you like to play.
Currently working on "The Blank Wall" in ADRIFT 5 and "Again and Again" in Inform 7.
Delron, the home of Otter Interactive Fiction.
rotter

Postby P/o Prune » Sun May 13, 2018 9:07 am

Rotter hit it right on the spot. :yeah:
You will never be able to make everyone happy. If you want to write, by all means, write your heart out.
D-Day V.5 in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Anno 1700 Submitted to the 2018 IFComp.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby RenatoDias » Sun May 13, 2018 6:33 pm

P/o Prune wrote:Rotter hit it right on the spot. :yeah:
You will never be able to make everyone happy. If you want to write, by all means, write your heart out.

I agree. I may not have played the old text adventures on the time they were more popular, but little by little I got captivated by this genre. I feel a lot of freedom not having to draw everything, just describing.

Thanks for your opinions, guys, and let's keep the discussion going.
RenatoDias

Return to ADRIFT 5.0