ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Intermittent Task Execution

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

Intermittent Task Execution

Postby Lazzah » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:22 pm

Something strange is happening in Essex!

In one of my WIP's I have an object, a name badge (synonym "name"), which is part of an NPC. I have it set as readable and there is a description when it is read.

The problem occurs when I type READ BADGE or READ NAME because it doesn't always work! I can type either command and get the response "I don't know what you want to do with the name badge." then immediately re-type the command and get the correct response. Of course, if I create a specific READ BADGE task then the command works every time, but I shouldn't have to do that.

Anyone got any ideas why this might be happening? Saabie? Campbell? :anyone: :?
OUT NOW: Run, Bronwynn, Run!
Current W.I.P.: Magnetic Moon
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire and The Lost Children
Lazzah

Re: Intermittent Task Execution

Postby saabie » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:45 pm

The only thing I can think of is that the text box has a blank page set to "Only display once", either in a task or the object description or the "When read display this" property.
If it's not one of those could you post the detailed debugger output for both cases, when it doesn't work and when it does.
saabie

Postby ralphmerridew » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:17 am

a) Export the game to a file. Search through the file for the badge. If the problem is something like what saabie said, it'll be more visible.

b) Try READ BADGE 10 times in a row. Are there any patterns to when it doesn't work?
Bloodhounds can make you laugh and cuss in the same breath. They are endearing, faithful, and can sling drool ten feet in any direction. -- Virginia Lanier
ralphmerridew

Postby Lazzah » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:37 pm

saabie wrote:The only thing I can think of is that the text box has a blank page set to "Only display once", either in a task or the object description or the "When read display this" property.
If it's not one of those could you post the detailed debugger output for both cases, when it doesn't work and when it does.

No, nothing like that in the task. Well, whatever was causing that anomaly is no longer affecting the game, READ BADGE is working fine today without the extra specific READ BADGE task.

Very odd! :?
OUT NOW: Run, Bronwynn, Run!
Current W.I.P.: Magnetic Moon
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire and The Lost Children
Lazzah

Postby ralphmerridew » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:54 pm

ISTR that if an object is part of an NPC, you may not be able to refer to it before you examine the NPC.
Bloodhounds can make you laugh and cuss in the same breath. They are endearing, faithful, and can sling drool ten feet in any direction. -- Virginia Lanier
ralphmerridew

Return to ADRIFT 5.0