ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Aggregate ?

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

Aggregate ?

Postby P/o Prune » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:12 am

I am trying to get one task to execute before the other.
One has priority 66 and the other priority 60 (this is the one I want to execute first.)
I will figure this out later. But during my trying to get the task to execute in the order I want I noticed a checked box under the "advanced" tap:

aggregate output where possible.

What in the blazes does this mean?
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 60Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Re: Aggregate ?

Postby David Whyld » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:54 pm

According to the wiki, it combines all the responses to a command into one sentence. So it'd say "You take the ball, the bat and the vase" instead of "You take the ball. You take the bat. You take the vase."
David Whyld

Postby P/o Prune » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:55 pm

David Whyld wrote:According to the wiki, it combines all the responses to a command into one sentence. So it'd say "You take the ball, the bat and the vase" instead of "You take the ball. You take the bat. You take the vase."

Ah! Thanks :yeah:
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 60Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Lazzah » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:21 pm

You could always use the action RUN TASK 'taskname' (of the second task) in the actions tab of the task you want to execute first.
WIP: The Lost Labyrinth of Lazaitch
ALSO AVAILABLE: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run!

COMING SOON: Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest & Revenge of the Space Pirates
Lazzah

Postby David Whyld » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:39 pm

Hey, look at that! I actually answered a v5 question!

Getting quite good at this v5 lark :)

(Admittedly, I just searched for aggregate in the wiki and copied what someone else had already did there, but I'm still quite proud of myself.)
David Whyld

Postby Lazzah » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:43 pm

David Whyld wrote:Hey, look at that! I actually answered a v5 question!

Getting quite good at this v5 lark :)

(Admittedly, I just searched for aggregate in the wiki and copied what someone else had already did there, but I'm still quite proud of myself.)

How's the game going, David?
ALSO AVAILABLE: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run!

Lazzah

Postby David Whyld » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:47 pm

Slowly. Very slowly. I seem to have run into the age-old problem of throwing all these cool ideas into the mix without any clear plan of how to use them, and now my game is getting seriously bloated.
David Whyld

Postby saabie » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:01 am

Aggregate will normally be ticked for all simple tasks, it only needs to be turned off if you are executing sub-tasks and the aggregation is scrambling the output, or if you want to output a list that has 2 or more references in it like:
Sally has the broom.
George has the dustpan.
Betty has the torch.

With aggregation ticked these would be combined into: "Sally, george and betty have the broom, dustpan and torch" which no longer tells us who has what.

You might also turn it off if you need more control over the exact formatting of the output.
saabie

Postby Lazzah » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:54 am

David Whyld wrote:Slowly. Very slowly. I seem to have run into the age-old problem of throwing all these cool ideas into the mix without any clear plan of how to use them, and now my game is getting seriously bloated.

I know the feeling. When I first discovered ADRIFT5 I wanted to finish the game I had started many years before on the Speccy using PAW - The Fortress of Fear - as I was progamming it the ideas keep coming but instead of saving them for other games, I incorporated them into FoF, with the result that the game became the bloated monster that it is. Due to the lack of feedback these days I only know of a handful of players who have finished the game.

BTW, David, I recently treated myself to a 10" Windows tablet and have installed ADRIFT5 on it so that I can work on my games in bed! (a lot less bulky than my laptop). I am now retired but often wake up at silly o'clock. It is a marvellous toy but it would drive you batty as it has an on-screen keyboard that takes up half the screen and when creating a task,etc, you have to collapse the keyboard in order to be able to click on the OK button! It's a good job that I have lots of patience!

Lazzah

Postby David Whyld » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:17 am

Yeah, it's this feeling that you could make the game so much better if you just added in all these extra bits, and then more extra bits, and still more, and before you know it you have a game many times larger than it needs to be with lots of stuff in it that most people will never even see. My superhero game has a whole shopping mall included, complete with a couple dozen shops, NPCs in each of them and a whole backstory, even though the player doesn't need to visit it more than a couple of times throughout the whole game. I should have just kept it to the bare minimum and not just thrown it all in because it seemed like a good idea at the time.
David Whyld

Return to ADRIFT 5.0