ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Putting these things online

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

Re: Putting these things online

Postby The0didactus » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:01 am

Some metrics to put this in perspective:

* Offhand I know three people, real life, who will not play my games because of the virus issue. There are also countless people IRL that I REALLY want to share my games with, but who lack the technical competence to play them (or who lack windows machines): My parents, for example.

* Upon releasing Six Silver Bullets for IFCOMP, I received five emails in the first day, basically saying "hey I wanna play this but I can't."
For every person who wrote, there had to be several that didn't. That's tons of players a day.

* I promote my games on a few other sites I'm fond of, including Slatestarcodex and some legal forums. I still get messages from people asking "hey, I saw this game you were talking about called Tingalan, how do I play it? I can't get Adrift to work on my computer"...again I must stress that these are complete outsiders to the IF community writing me about a game I made, and promoted, several years ago. They want to play. They can't.

All these people are folks that would get into our IF if we could more easily share our games...and I'm just one guy.
The0didactus

Postby The0didactus » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:29 am

So it's been more than 6 months and we're still nowhere on this.
I've made 2 attempts in the past few weeks to get an online runner working via some files and instructions I received from Daza, that I think he ultimately received from Campbell...neither worked, but that's probably because I have no earthly idea how to do this. I might make another attempt this weekend, but the odds are not good.

I'm already dreading the emails I'll get in the first few days of the comp saying the game is "broken" because it's not playable on a mac, or because their computer thinks its a virus. Can anyone think of a solution here?
The0didactus

Postby P/o Prune » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:17 am

What can I say?
I have been pestering Campbell with messages, mails etc. I have pasted / copied your post, and sent it to him.
Trust me, I'm as desperate as you are.
My next move will be to travel to Scotland, put a sign on his door saying "Secret CIA headquarter" and then notify ISIS. Maybe that will wake him up. :whistle:
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 64Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby The0didactus » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:23 pm

Yeah it's probably a lost cause at this point.

For what it's worth I'm issuing a challenge, which will sorta have to be on the honor system: I will give $100 of my prize money this year (or the whole amount, if I win less than $100, last year I won $70) to any single person (campbell included) who can assure online play through the whole comp.
The0didactus

Postby The0didactus » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:38 pm

Before anyone loses any time on this challenge, let me announce...a winner! :thanks: :thanks: :thanks:

A lone badass known only as Maz has successfully gotten a version of the ADRIFT servers up and running. We are working on a global solution which should be up and running over the next few weeks...maybe not in time for the comp...but definitely in time for the rush of new ADRIFT-ers that will surely arrive once the comp begins.
The0didactus

Postby Lumin » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:54 pm

The version he had me try is still glitchy, for Skybreak especially, unfortunately. But if necessary the v5 webrunner is on github and he makes it sound like just recreating it is entirely in the realm of possibility.

Considering he was only asked about this Sunday night, this is a phenomenal amount of progress so far. I'll make fun of the French WAY less often if he can pull this off. :D Considering he is used to getting paid for this kind of thing he is very cool for just being willing to dive in the moment he was asked.
Lumin

Postby The0didactus » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:58 pm

yes. Everyone should recognize the amazing contributions of this lone french hero...surely the greatest french hero since Lancelot wandered into Arthurian legend.
The0didactus

Postby Lumin » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:29 pm

Okay, so the major issue with running Skybreak seems to have been narrowed down to the online runner not understanding the pop up window that asks for names. That's easy for Theo to work around.

Skybreak is a freaking amazing game, you guys. It's going to bring in a lot of new blood once it's out there, and mostly people with no prior experience with IF.
Lumin

Postby rotter » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:36 am

The0didactus wrote:yes. Everyone should recognize the amazing contributions of this lone french hero...surely the greatest french hero since Lancelot wandered into Arthurian legend.

This is amazing news. Well done that man.
Currently working on "The Blank Wall" in ADRIFT 5 and "Again and Again" in Inform 7.
Delron, the home of Otter Interactive Fiction.
rotter

Postby Campbell » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:23 am

I've requested that Treasure Hunt in the Amazon gets a Play Online link on the IF Comp website. In the meantime it can be played here.

Skybreak is being hosted on http://vps730111.ovh.net. There's actually no reason that server can't host THitA also (i.e. it can).
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby Campbell » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:30 am

Btw, next time I do a release, I'm going to change the way it's packaged, to try to resolve the virus flagging issue. I was using a proprietary packager in order to hide the source code, but now I've made it open source this isn't an issue, so I'll use a more straightforward method. My current sticking point is that my digital certificate ran out, and I need to go and see a solicitor before they'll re-issue me a new one. Will do this as soon as I can.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby The0didactus » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:50 am

I've made a quick post on the Intfiction boards indicating that you can play our games online now. If anyone who has a game in the comp would like help putting a "Play online" button next to their game's official ballot entry, I'm happy to help you do that, because I figured out how to do that with Skybreak! and it's pretty dang easy.
The0didactus

Postby maz » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:30 pm

The Webrunner version that the VPS is currently running is the version you sent to some users a while ago.
I have a few questions...
Which version are you running on play.adrift.co?
Is the git version stable and tested? Also, has the AssemblyInfo been updated?
maz

Postby Denk » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:38 pm

Thanks Campbell for making online play work again, and thank you The0didactus for spreading the word on intfiction.org. I have updated my game file on ifcomp.org to contain both a .blorb-file and a index.html file, which points to: http://www.adrift.co/cgi/play.cgi?1528

But for some reason, the "Play Online" button does not appear. I have contacted the IFcomp organizers asking what I am doing wrong.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Denk

Postby Campbell » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:49 pm

maz wrote:The Webrunner version that the VPS is currently running is the version you sent to some users a while ago.
I have a few questions...
Which version are you running on play.adrift.co?
Is the git version stable and tested? Also, has the AssemblyInfo been updated?

Both sites are currently running 5.0.36.0. They should be stable in so far as they're basically the same as 5.0.35.3 with currently 5 bug fixes, so the delta is fairly small.

What are you expecting to be updated on AssemblyInfo?
Campbell
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to ADRIFT 5.0