ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Putting these things online

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

Re: Putting these things online

Postby Campbell » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:50 pm

Denk wrote:But for some reason, the "Play Online" button does not appear. I have contacted the IFcomp organizers asking what I am doing wrong.
It's not automatic. I sent an email also, but they may still be asleep. I'm sure they'll update it later today.
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby Denk » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:52 pm

Campbell wrote:I've requested that Treasure Hunt in the Amazon gets a Play Online link on the IF Comp website. In the meantime it can be played here.

Skybreak is being hosted on http://vps730111.ovh.net. There's actually no reason that server can't host THitA also (i.e. it can).

Campbell, I just realized that you removed graphics and sound before you uploaded the game to the ADRIFT site. Is it because the Online Runner doesn't work with graphics and sound?
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
Denk

Postby Campbell » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:51 pm

That should be the graphics issue sorted now. I'll look into the sound issue.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby Campbell » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:43 pm

Ok, sound should be working now too.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby DazaKiwi » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:49 am

Thank you Maz and Campbell for getting online play working again! And Welcome back Campbell!

Do we now have one server to upload our games or is there two? one being the official/original server that Campbell has restored and the one Maz has setup?
DazaKiwi

Postby The0didactus » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:22 am

It looks like we have 1.5 right now, and working towards two.
We have the official setup from Campbell, and Maz was going to walk me through how to get a sever going as well. I still think that's a good idea.

I have fired off links to Tingalan and the Dead of Winter to like, 20 people in the last 2 days. It's good to have these games widely playable again
The0didactus

Postby Campbell » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:21 am

It's definitely a good idea having more than one. Each server should be capable of playing all ADRIFT games. It might even be possible to get the main site to check whether a server is up, and fall back to sending it to a backup server, if we keep them both/all up.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby Denk » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:28 pm

Campbell wrote:
Denk wrote:But for some reason, the "Play Online" button does not appear. I have contacted the IFcomp organizers asking what I am doing wrong.
It's not automatic. I sent an email also, but they may still be asleep. I'm sure they'll update it later today.

Back in 2018 (or perhaps it was 2017?) I uploaded a blorb-file to the IFcomp site. Automatically a "Play Online" button was created. However, it did not work since it was trying to run the blorb as if it was an inform-game. At that point online play did not work at the ADRIFT site, so I informed the IFcomp crew about this bug and they got rid of the automatic "Play Online" button. This problem did not occur when uploading a taf-file.

This might explain why The0didactus managed to get a "Play Online" button for Skybreak, since his game is attached as a taf-file, whereas my game must be a blorb-file since it contains music and graphics, and thus no "Play Online" button occurs, even though I included a index.html file in the zip-file.

I just got an e-mail from the organizer. She said that this fix cannot be considered until next year, but that I can mention in the blurb that the game can be played online and I can post a link in the blurb.
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
Denk

Postby Campbell » Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:52 am

Next year?! Why, are they incompetent? Aaarggh
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby Lumin » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:29 pm

Campbell wrote:Skybreak is being hosted on http://vps730111.ovh.net. There's actually no reason that server can't host THitA also (i.e. it can).

The original plan was to upload all the comp games, but there's some kind of annoying issue with switching from one game to another right now. It just doesn't want to load the new one...although Maz would have to explain what's actually causing it.

Anyway, I just have to say, this is the best I've felt about ADRIFT in ages. Everyone's talking about their games, actually finishing their games, Campbell's back in action, we have Maz on the job with the other server, and now new people can finally play the dang things; and there were some really good games made this year that will help draw interest if we can just get people to sit down in front of them.

Skybreak is going to be a great tool for that for me. It's CYOA style and just stylish and fun and I have access to 60+ people who (theoretically) are really into that kind of thing. I'm going to try using it as a gateway drug to get them checking out ADRIFT. I know the way it can do RPG elements and random encounters so easily will be a draw. And as a community they're collectively all *much* better at actually playing things and giving feedback than most of us here.

I was getting pretty depressed and cynical about things for awhile there because no matter how good a game was, everything seemed to hinge on online play for any possible relevancy. Now that we've got it and seemingly for the long term I'm so much more interested in writing a game and getting involved. :D
Last edited by Lumin on Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lumin

Postby The0didactus » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:48 pm

It's certainly got me jazzed.
I'd sunk more than 100 hours into a game that's ultimately going to be at least the same size as skybreak or bigger, and I was despairing having to switch over to python or something...but since Cambell's return i've been working on it on and off between my job.
The0didactus

Postby rotter » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:34 am

The0didactus wrote:It's certainly got me jazzed.
I'd sunk more than 100 hours into a game that's ultimately going to be at least the same size as skybreak or bigger, and I was despairing having to switch over to python or something...but since Cambell's return i've been working on it on and off between my job.

I know what you mean. I have my game Blank Wall virtually ready but held off due to the state of everything. I didn't really want to convert it is I7. Actually open the game and did some work on it yesterday.
Currently working on "The Blank Wall" in ADRIFT 5 and "Again and Again" in Inform 7.
Delron, the home of Otter Interactive Fiction.
rotter

Previous

Return to ADRIFT 5.0