ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Spells and Grues

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

Spells and Grues

Postby Ariel Schnee » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:59 am

Two things...

01. Does anybody know how to get this thing to use spells? Like in the Infocom games. Like if I wanted to Rezrov Gate to unlock the gate. Or if I wanted to Frotz Jug to turn the jug into a light source. Or I wanted to Extinguish Jug to cancel the Frotx spell.

02. How do I fix it so that if someone stumbles around in a dark room a few times they get eaten by a grue?
Ariel Schnee

Re: Spells and Grues

Postby Denk » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:31 pm

Welcome to the ADRIFT forum Ariel.

01: You can easily create spells of this type. It is similar to creating a new verb.

You may want to be able to cast spells on both characters and objects. Thus you should make a general task for rezrov'ing objects: rezrov %object%
and another general task for rezrov'ing characters: rezrov %character%

The general tasks make sure that there is always a response, no matter which object and character you try to Rezrov.
For specific purposes, you need to create specific tasks for each unique reaction.

For instance, you might want to make a specific task for Rezrov gate, which then unlocks the gate.

It is explained in more detail how to create new verbs (works the same for spells) here (Check how to implement a TALK TO command):
http://forum.adrift.co/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=12082

02: To do that, I would personally create an event, which starts a count down, once a player enters a dark room without a light source, or if the only light source is extinguished. If the player moves to a light location or turns on the light somehow, the event is stopped. I encourage you to play around with events, to get an idea of how they work.

If some of the above is not clear, just ask again. We can create a taf-file showing you how it can be done. But I recommend that you attempt to make a small demo for your self, where you try to make spells work and a demo where you get eaten by a grue in dark rooms. If the demos do not work as expected, you can attach them to your posts and we can explain what is wrong with your demo.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Denk

Postby ralphmerridew » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:54 am

Do you want a magic system, or do you want to have the Enchanter trilogy magic system?
Bloodhounds can make you laugh and cuss in the same breath. They are endearing, faithful, and can sling drool ten feet in any direction. -- Virginia Lanier
ralphmerridew

Postby Ariel Schnee » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:13 am

ralphmerridew » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:54 pm
Do you want a magic system, or do you want to have the Enchanter trilogy magic system?

I want what they had in the Enchanter Trilogy. With the spellbook, scrolls, gnustoing scrolls, learning spells, all that stuff. The whole "You are feeling tired" thing. Sleep. Forget learned spells.
Ariel Schnee

Postby ralphmerridew » Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:47 am

If you want to try to handle all the intricacies of the Enchanter system, then you've chosen a pretty ambitious project. I will recommend that you try a smaller project first, just so you can get a handle on ADRIFT. (You may or may not want to look at Balances, Spadventure, Spiritwrack, Perilous Magic, and/or Scroll Thief, to see what sort of other fangames have used the Enchanter system.)
Bloodhounds can make you laugh and cuss in the same breath. They are endearing, faithful, and can sling drool ten feet in any direction. -- Virginia Lanier
ralphmerridew

Return to ADRIFT 5.0