ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Conversation?

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

Conversation?

Postby P/o Prune » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:03 am

Is the "Enter conversation" work?
I am trying to implement a restriction in one of my conversations with another character: "Character player must be in conversation with character Rusty"
Player will enter conversation mode when he first greets Rusty.
However, it appears that the player is able to ask Rusty questions anyway (and get a replay)
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 64Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Re: Conversation?

Postby Denk » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:26 am

I tried to test if that restriction works when using tasks for conversation and when using the conversation tab for conversation. When using tasks, the restriction "Character player must be in conversation with character Rusty" works, but when using the conversation tab, it doesn't.

I don't regard this as a bug, but I think it can be explained as follows: It is not intended that "To be in conversation with someone" is required before you can ask questions. Thus, as soon as you ask about a subject which has been created in the conversation tab, you are entering into a conversation with that character, BEFORE the restrictions for that topic is checked. Thus the restriction "Character player must be in conversation with character Rusty" will always be fulfilled when you are using the conversation tab.

Using tasks instead of the conversation tab is more flexible, thus you can utilize "To be in conversation with someone" to e.g. prevent the player to ask questions before they are in conversation with the character.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Denk

Postby P/o Prune » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:46 pm

Denk wrote:I tried to test if that restriction works when using tasks for conversation and when using the conversation tab for conversation. When using tasks, the restriction "Character player must be in conversation with character Rusty" works, but when using the conversation tab, it doesn't.

I don't regard this as a bug, but I think it can be explained as follows: It is not intended that "To be in conversation with someone" is required before you can ask questions. Thus, as soon as you ask about a subject which has been created in the conversation tab, you are entering into a conversation with that character, BEFORE the restrictions for that topic is checked. Thus the restriction "Character player must be in conversation with character Rusty" will always be fulfilled when you are using the conversation tab.

Using tasks instead of the conversation tab is more flexible, thus you can utilize "To be in conversation with someone" to e.g. prevent the player to ask questions before they are in conversation with the character.

Ahh.. Thank you.
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 64Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby saabie » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:52 am

You can also setup a "passive introduction" which prints an introduction message if you enter a conversation without doing the active introduction first.
saabie

Return to ADRIFT 5.0