ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Updated StandardLibrary

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

Re: Updated StandardLibrary

Postby Trickster » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:24 pm

Just a suggestion:

I removed the restriction "must have seen the object" from "examine character's object" because it doesn't work with static objects which are part of the character description.

Also, I think I may have gotten "my" to work by copying "Examine Character's Object" to a new command "Examine My Object" and changing the Action to "Execute task 'Examine Character's Object' (%Player, %objects%)". I still need to test it thoroughly.

EDIT: I got it to work! :D Had to change the restrictions around a bit to get rid of "the referenced character" restrictions. Changed the three in the OR clause to Player character, and removed the other ones.
Trickster

Postby saabie » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:20 am

I've been struggling with GIT because it doesn't work properly with my older browser that I can't upgrade without upgrading windows, which I can't do without upgrading my hardware...
Anyway, I just installed Linux as a second operating system on my computer so I should be able to do the pull request now.
Before I do I want to go over all the changes again and test everything is working properly, so all I need now is a bit of free time...

This is the final call for any comments, bug reports or requests for my Standard Library updates before I hand them over to Campbell.
saabie

Postby Kennedy » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:22 am

Numerical values for weight and size would be nice if that hasn't been implemented yet.
Kennedy

Postby DazaKiwi » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:15 am

What about adding to default conversation task 'Say something to character'
add another line to command:
Current:
say %text% to %character%
Suggesting to also add:
say {to} %character% %text%

I think adding that link makes less guess work for players to get it right accepting both methods.

On the topic of conversations:
Also is there anyway to get away with accepting a ? in the player input text so that Adrift accepts it and not not ignore the conversation? this is for when the player wants to ask a NPC a question and naturally when asking questions we add a ? even though it has no really purpose other than to sound natural both in writing it and outputting it. Even if the solution is to remove the ? from text at least on screen its there when player enters it.
DazaKiwi

Postby saabie » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:49 am

Trickster wrote:I removed the restriction "must have seen the object" from "examine character's object" because it doesn't work with static objects which are part of the character description.
I have gotten "my" to work by copying "Examine Character's Object" to a new command "Examine My Object" and changing the Action to "Execute task 'Examine Character's Object' (%Player, %objects%)".
Thanks, I'll add these in.
Kennedy wrote:Numerical values for weight and size would be nice if that hasn't been implemented yet.
The StdLib already implements weight & size with value lists, so I can't change that. You can of course add a more exact weight & size to your own game or create an alternate library.
DazaKiwi wrote:What about adding to default conversation task 'Say something to character'
say {to} %character% %text%
Also is there anyway to get away with accepting a ? in the player input text so that Adrift accepts it and not not ignore the conversation?
I'll try both these and see if I can get them to work.
saabie

Postby Ariel Schnee » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:30 pm

So do I have both the original and this one checkmarked, or just this one?
Ariel Schnee

Postby saabie » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:06 am

Only one StandardLibrary at a time.
This file will probably replace the old one in the next official release.
saabie

Postby Campbell » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:41 am

Did you do a pull request saabie? I got an email to say you had, but when I went in it said there was none, so not sure if you withdrew it?
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby Ariel Schnee » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:06 am

Did you do a pull request saabie? I got an email to say you had, but when I went in it said there was none, so not sure if you withdrew it?

A what now?
Ariel Schnee

Postby saabie » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:19 pm

That was an accident. I was trying to do a pull request between two of my own repositories.
As soon as I finish my final testing I will do a pull request to yours.
saabie

Postby Campbell » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:02 am

Excellent, thanks.
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby saabie » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:57 am

Trickster wrote:I removed the restriction "must have seen the object" from "examine character's object" because it doesn't work with static objects which are part of the character description.
Do you mean a static object set to [part of character], because that works OK for me with that restriction still in place.

I am adding your suggestion for "examine my %object%".
saabie

Previous

Return to ADRIFT 5.0