ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Handling object

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

Handling object

Postby P/o Prune » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:13 pm

Does an dynamic object have to be in the same location as the player in order to be manipulated?
Silly question? perhaps but I am just wondering.

In JaFT the player is carrying a magic rope that allows him to pass from one location/object to another. In this case it's from a balcony to a roof.
The player ties the rope to the balcony, then throws the rope towards the roof (where it magically ties itself to the chimney) So now the rope is on the (object) railing
He can then >climb rope to roof and is moved there by task.
He needs the rope on the roof in order to progress in the game, so he >pull rope (specific task overriding pull object)
The problem is that when I try this I get the message: You can't see any ropes which is understandable.
Question is, is there a way I can make the player "pull the rope" without it being in the same location as him?
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 70Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Re: Handling object

Postby Denk » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:05 pm

P/o Prune wrote:Does an dynamic object have to be in the same location as the player in order to be manipulated?
No, it is possible to remove the two restrictions:
adrift Code: Select all
Referenced Object must have been seen by the Player character
Rererenced Object must be visible to the Player character

In your case you are overriding the standard library task "Pull object" so you could modify the restrictions in that task, so that the restrictions are less strict for the rope. Instead of modifying the "Pull object" task, it would probably be easier to make a general task, which is practically identical to the "Pull object" task, except that it only applies when the referenced object is the rope.

P/o Prune wrote:In JaFT the player is carrying a magic rope that allows him to pass from one location/object to another. In this case it's from a balcony to a roof.
The player ties the rope to the balcony, then throws the rope towards the roof (where it magically ties itself to the chimney) So now the rope is on the (object) railing
He can then >climb rope to roof and is moved there by task.
He needs the rope on the roof in order to progress in the game, so he >pull rope (specific task overriding pull object)
The problem is that when I try this I get the message: You can't see any ropes which is understandable.
Question is, is there a way I can make the player "pull the rope" without it being in the same location as him?
I have implemented a rope a couple of times in my games. I find it easier to either have a dynamic object for each location the rope is in or to make the tied or dangling rope a static object covering more locations. You could have a dynamic object for the rope you can carry and then replace it with static object(s) when tied.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Denk

Postby P/o Prune » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:16 pm

Denk wrote:In your case you are overriding the standard library task "Pull object" so you could modify the restrictions in that task, so that the restrictions are less strict for the rope. Instead of modifying the "Pull object" task, it would probably be easier to make a general task, which is practically identical to the "Pull object" task, except that it only applies when the referenced object is the rope.

Thanks a million.
This is just what I was looking for. :D

By the way. This was what I waas going to ask you when I texted you the other day... :wink:
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Lazzah » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:37 pm

I would do it a different way, as per the attached demo.

The Magic Rope.taf
(15.85 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
WIP: The Lost Labyrinth of Lazaitch

ALSO AVAILABLE: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run, Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest, Revenge of the Space Pirates
Lazzah

Postby P/o Prune » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:47 pm

Lazzah wrote:I would do it a different way, as per the attached demo.

The Magic Rope.taf

I'm at work right now.
But I will, of course, take a look at your demo later.
Thanks, Lazzah
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby R2T1 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:15 am

Just a thought (without trying)
When you move the player to the roof, why not also move the rope there too in the same task?
R2T1

Postby P/o Prune » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:26 am

R2T1 wrote:Just a thought (without trying)
When you move the player to the roof, why not also move the rope there too in the same task?

I guess I could do that. But the idea is that the rope is tied to the railing of the balcony on the other side of the street which means that player has to untie it first.
Either that or I simply write in the text when the player climbs the rope that he has reached the roof and coil up the rope.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Return to ADRIFT 5.0