ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Alternative Descriptions

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

Alternative Descriptions

Postby Lazzah » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:04 am

Hi all, soon be Christmas! (Groan!)

While working on my latest WIP just now, I was renaming some alternative description tabs. I do this to reduce their size so I can see more of them in the dialogue box (Which I keep to its smallest size) especially if there are a lot. In most cases I don't bother giving them a name, just a number or even "x" or "y". It crossed my mind to ask on the forum whether any other Drifters bother renaming their tabs on alternative descriptions?
The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run, The Call of the Shaman, The Lost Labyrinth of Lazaitch, Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest, Revenge of the Space Pirates
Lazzah

Re: Alternative Descriptions

Postby The0didactus » Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:01 pm

Six Silver Bullets uses a truly absurd number of alternative descriptions in a few places. The only time I've had occasion to label the alternative descriptions though was in Tingalan.
The0didactus

Postby P/o Prune » Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:56 pm

I have always just used the default Alternate description 1, 2 etc.
Never really thought about the possibility of renaming them. But come to think of it, it may not be a bad idea.
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 70Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby saabie » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:34 pm

If I have more than a couple I name them so I know which is which, usually after the main restriction that causes that one to be shown (dark, no wand, safe open), or "1st" for only show first time.
saabie

Postby rotter » Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:23 pm

I've been in the habit of renaming then. I found it can make it easier when edit/bug fixing.
Currently working on "The Blank Wall" in ADRIFT 5 and "Again and Again" in Inform 7.
Delron, the home of Otter Interactive Fiction.
rotter

Return to ADRIFT 5.0