ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

A duh moment..

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

A duh moment..

Postby DazaKiwi » Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:31 am

This might be obvious to some, but i realised you cannot have a character sit on an object that is set to be everywhere in a group location,as that character will not be visible. I spent an hour or so trying to work out why the PC cannot see a character or talk to them, and finally worked it out. It was like duh, it kind of makes sense because how would Adrift know where the NPC is exactly, and the NPC cannot be in all of those location. I initially thought something else was going on. So using a fixed location for the object is the only way. I thought to post this for others to take heed especially newbies drifters.
DazaKiwi

Re: A duh moment..

Postby P/o Prune » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:22 am

I'm sorry. It's not meant in a harmful way, but rofl You just brightened my dull grey wet and windy Sunday :yeah:
Thanks for sharing.

A similar experience: :blush:
under General
I was beta testing Lazzah's latest game and was hopelessly stuck. Luckily Denk had already played the game so I turned to him for help.
During our texting back and forth, I remembered this guy who had written a piece called "Players bill of rights" Denk could inform me that his name is Graham Nelson.
Anyway. Atfter some Googling I found it and spent the next hour or so molding it into shape so I could implement it into the forum.
Only to find out that it was already there under General IF / Adventure tips for newcomers. :x
Wasn't all wasted time though. For while copying the text, I had to read it through and thus got a quick reminder course in IF writing.

To all you newcomers out there: Before you even consider writing a game take a look here first: Player's Bill of Rights
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 138Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Re: A duh moment..

Postby DazaKiwi » Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:43 am

At least you refreshed yourself upon that lol, i just had a read, i didn't know about that thread. Apart from my oversight with my issue at least i sorted it in the end, problem solving in Adrift can be like a game all in itself, using the debugger to track things down and eliminate possible suspects. And sometimes you have to give in and call it a night and try again with a less foggy brain lol
DazaKiwi

Return to ADRIFT 5.0