ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

A quick way to search for a specific task in Debugger output

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

A quick way to search for a specific task in Debugger output

Postby DazaKiwi » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:55 pm

I thought of a method to speed up using debugger for when trying to track a specific custom task, this is more for larger projects where lots of task run and the output list obviously is big. Some of you may already be doing this but i thought to share it.

Searching Debugger Output:

This can only be done using short-cuts and having a blank wordpad or notepad document open and ready to use:

Steps: (Note for the shortcut novices: + denotes pressing another key and not pressing + itself)

Tip: If debugger has been running for a while the output text could be quite big, so you can use step 1 below and then press the delete key to wipe everything in output window of debugger and then in runner make a new turn (especially if you are at a point you want to test) and it will output a fresh in the debugger window.

1# Inside debugger click inside output window and press Ctrl + A (this will select all text)
2# Then Press Ctrl + C (to copy to clipboard)
3# Click Inside wordpad or notepad and then press Ctrl + V (to paste)
4# Whilst still using Wordpad Press Ctrl + F (to open note search function)
5# type name of your task, if its long or has several words that needs to be in the search then just open the specific task you seek (in Dev) and copy its name entirely and paste into the search box in wordpad

What is also handy with this is you can use the Find Next to seek its next or prev instance. I have also made a suggestion of having the ability to click on a task in debugger and jump to its position in the output window which would be much quicker. But for now this method will be handy for tracking down custom tasks in bigger games.
DazaKiwi

Re: A quick way to search for a specific task in Debugger ou

Postby Campbell » Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:13 pm

You can also just use the checkboxes, deselecting the tasks you're not interested in, and keeping the ones you are ticked. That effectively works as a filter.
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Re: A quick way to search for a specific task in Debugger ou

Postby DazaKiwi » Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:58 am

All these years ive never thought of that :| , that is a powerful feature right under my nose. I like how you can tick the parent box and all of tasks are de-selected then i can just tick the ones im monitoring.

Using it more now, i noticed if you restart Runner it also resets Debugger, so if you untick all of the tasks and only have ticked the ones you are watching it will undo that and revert to all tasks etc as ticked when Runner is restarted.
DazaKiwi

Return to ADRIFT 5.0