ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Location Descriptions vs Group Descriptions

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

Location Descriptions vs Group Descriptions

Postby RenatoDias » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:47 pm

I need some help with my game.

I have about 5 locations with the same name, with the "level #" suffix in each(like Acorn Street, Acorn Street Level 2, Acorn Street Level 3, etc), and I find it quite time consuming to write descriptions for each of them separately. Would the group function help me on this?

Another thing, if yes, how can I deal with things like when each level has a different building when you go north from that street? Add tabs on the group description?

Game map link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NAOSz9ln6_c9-Pt7iZWCcHwzNA4QpA89/view?usp=sharing
Thanks.

PS.: The Model location is something I used to space out the rooms in the map.
RenatoDias

Re: Location Descriptions vs Group Descriptions

Postby Lazzah » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:34 pm

RenatoDias wrote:I need some help with my game.

I have about 5 locations with the same name, with the "level #" suffix in each(like Acorn Street, Acorn Street Level 2, Acorn Street Level 3, etc), and I find it quite time consuming to write descriptions for each of them separately. Would the group function help me on this?

I don't think you can use the location group in this way, but maybe one of the more knowledgeable Drifters knows different?

RenatoDias wrote:Another thing, if yes, how can I deal with things like when each level has a different building when you go north from that street? Add tabs on the group description?

Yes, the above would be the best way to tackle that.
The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run, The Call of the Shaman, The Lost Labyrinth of Lazaitch, Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest, Revenge of the Space Pirates
Lazzah

Postby RenatoDias » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:40 pm

[quote=Lazzah]I don't think you can use the location group in this way, but maybe one of the more knowledgeable Drifters knows different?[/quote]
I meant use the location group's long description for all locations on the group.

I'll wait for more opinions on this. Thanks for the help, Lazzah.
RenatoDias

Postby saabie » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:35 pm

The simplest thing to do would be to put the shared description into a text variable and use that variable as part of the description, eg:
%AcornSt% To the north is a barber shop.
saabie

Postby RenatoDias » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:54 pm

As I can see, groups make it much easier to control descriptions, since you change one, and change for every one of them.

saabie wrote:The simplest thing to do would be to put the shared description into a text variable and use that variable as part of the description, eg: %AcornSt% To the north is a barber shop.

How would I implement this, saabie?
I have the game map linked if you wanna take a look.
Just saw a bug with the Group description tabs. If you add a tab, it erases the original text. And what you put on one tab gets cloned to the other.
RenatoDias

Postby saabie » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:42 am

Here is an example of using text variables and text overrides in location descriptions:
CommonText.taf
(23.45 KiB) Downloaded 52 times
saabie

Postby RenatoDias » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:06 am

saabie wrote:Here is an example of using text variables and text overrides in location descriptions:
CommonText.taf

Oh, man! Really cool. Loved the idea.
RenatoDias

Return to ADRIFT 5.0