Examining Objects With The Same Noun

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.
Lazzah

Examining Objects With The Same Noun

Post by Lazzah »

In one location of my WIP there are three static wall objects, north, south and west. None of them has the noun WALLS yet, when I type X WALLS, the description messages for each are displayed one after the other. Is this a bug or a new feature in ADRIFT?
The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run, The Call of the Shaman, The Lost Labyrinth of Lazaitch, Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest, Revenge of the Space Pirates
ralphmerridew

Re: Examining Objects With The Same Noun

Post by ralphmerridew »

I think there have been some auto pluralizing options in the past, so it's not new.
Bloodhounds can make you laugh and cuss in the same breath. They are endearing, faithful, and can sling drool ten feet in any direction. -- Virginia Lanier
Denk

Post by Denk »

I just looked into it. Both v35 and v36 understands "walls" as multiple wall-objects. This is good, so that you can e.g. type GET BRICKS if you have a blue and a red brick. This is because the command field of the "Take objects"-task contains %objects%.

However, we do not want this behaviour when we examine stuff. This is why the standard library task contains %object% and not %objects%.

Lazzah, I looked at the beta-version of RtCC and I can see that your examine task is using %objects% instead of %object%. Thus the behaviour you described is present when playing that beta-version. In your "Examine objects"-task, you should change %objects% to %object%. Then the problem is gone. However, you must remember to edit the message field and restrictions too, so that %objects% is replaced with %object% everywhere.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Lazzah

Post by Lazzah »

Hi Denk,

Thanks for finding the cause of that. I have now corrected the general EXAMINE OBJECT task. Strange, because I don't ever recall changing the %object% to %objects%! :?
The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run, The Call of the Shaman, The Lost Labyrinth of Lazaitch, Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest, Revenge of the Space Pirates