How do I create menus?

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.
Lakanar

How do I create menus?

Post by Lakanar »

Alright, so I have this area with a giant crane and a bunch of shipping crates(its a modern port that the player has to visit). I have pondered how to have a crane puzzle in the game, and realized that the best way to do that is with a menu. Ie. pick one of three crates and put them into one of four positions. If the three crates are in the right position, the way opens.
But I don't know how to do that exactly. I know the jist, create a room especially for the menu and then create tasks for each entry, but that's as far as I can get.
Essentially I'm looking to create a skybreak style menu.
Can anyone show me the way?
DazaKiwi

Re: How do I create menus?

Post by DazaKiwi »

I have created a demo for you to look at. The choices are a bit bland, no puzzle but its just a menu example.

Hope it helps.
Attachments
MenuExample_v1.taf
(16.25 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
Lakanar

Post by Lakanar »

I understand now. But how does turning the active menu item to 0 allow for nested sub-menus? I would do that this way: Have variable x. Main menu, X =1, choice 1 sub-menu x= 2 and so on.
DazaKiwi

Post by DazaKiwi »

Lakanar wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:21 am I understand now. But how does turning the active menu item to 0 allow for nested sub-menus? I would do that this way: Have variable x. Main menu, X =1, choice 1 sub-menu x= 2 and so on.
Well think of it as an elevator when you are on say the top floor then the choices given to the player and their tasks associated with them will trigger. Go into sub menu and its like going down a floor, now choices the player makes will trigger tasks associated with that floor/choices- if you get my gist. The Menu1Active, Menu2Active etc is the way to keep tabs which floor or menu is active. Does that make better sense?