Are there Beginner Tutorials by other users?

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.
Gary9450

Are there Beginner Tutorials by other users?

Post by Gary9450 »

I've made four strong attempts at following the Jack and the Beanstalk "tutorial" in the Help Guide, and failed. Each time I get about two-thirds through it and then do a sample Run, things screw up. Just last week I discovered that those are not parenthesis in the plant\bury command, they are brackets. That mistake alone cost me 3 attempts at entering the tutorial correctly (blame it on my old eyesight and the lack of the instructions pointing out the brackets). This time, tho,the "plant a magic bean" is causing endless trouble for me. I wish there had been somebody else who had worked thru the Jack and the Beanstalk tutorial so that I wouldn't feel so alone in this. Of course, updating the Help Guide (to latest version) along with newer program photos would be a big plus, but that's never gonnna happen.
My frustration has peaked.
End of whine.
Lakanar

Re: Are there Beginner Tutorials by other users?

Post by Lakanar »

http://help.adrift.co/ It this what you are using for your help guide(assuming you are using adrift 5)? Because it clearly explains the brackets thing for commands.
Also, here is the discord for adrift: https://discord.gg/ATKcMnKY The helpful people on there shall answer any and all questions you have!
Denk

Post by Denk »

You should check out the video tutorials:
viewforum.php?f=33&sid=567691276e32ea9584c55e3abe919d08

And don't hesitate to ask. Attaching a taf-file will always makes it easier for us to see what you are doing wrong.

EDIT: I also recommend to read the first four "chapters" of this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=12082
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Gary9450

Post by Gary9450 »

Lakanar,
No, the Jack and the Beanstalk tutorial does not specify using brackets for commands. The Help guide does, but not the tutorial (it only mentions brackets surrounding the Location title). So, when I combined that lack of info along with my crappy eyesight, I ended up using parenthesis where the brackets should have been. I have not read instructions in the guide as yet, all I've done was try to work through the Jack and the Beanstalk tutorial (which I had made the mistake of assuming would be explaining things that are important to entering it). However, thank you for your response, and also for the link to the Discord site... I will be using that for future help (among other things).
Last edited by Gary9450 on Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary9450

Post by Gary9450 »

Denk,
Thank you once again for your help. If I cannot locate what I did wrong in the tutorial, then I'll use your idea and upload what I've got so that maybe someone else can find my mistakes. :Thanks: