Adrift virus warnings

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Adrift virus warnings

Post by P/o Prune »

I'm not sure whether this is a good idea or not. But I have thought about asking you to send me a pm, or a mail to my Adrift mailbox if you get an Adrift related virus warning. I will then try to contact the virus checker company and tell them that this is a false virus warning.
The reason for my doubt is that if they go by the number of reports of a false virus, then it's not much use that I'm the only one reporting it.
What do you think?
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
October 31st: 70Kb (possible entry for IFComp 2021 :wink: )
Lazzah

Re: Adrift virus warnings

Post by Lazzah »

Great idea. I occasionally get virus warnings from Windows Defender when I try to run the ADRIFT developer. Each time I have told Defender to run the developer anyway and it is OK for a while.
The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run, The Call of the Shaman, The Lost Labyrinth of Lazaitch, Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest, Revenge of the Space Pirates
Denk

Post by Denk »

When possible it would be great. But they sometimes require that you attach a file or exact warning message.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Post by P/o Prune »

That shouldn't be a problem since I too download the most recent file.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Post by P/o Prune »

Dec 2nd.
Latest news on virus

Kennedy sent me a pm reporting a virus warning from McAfee "McAfee flags it with 'suspect!211caec1322e'" going for both developer and runner.
I've had a char with McAfee support and their suggestion was to go in on your virus scanner and manually approve the programs so they won't be scanned.
Apparently this procedure is the same for Windows Defender, and (from my own experience Total AV) and probably for the rest of the virus scanners too.
Looks like the thing to do, is to trust Campbell and just manually "approve" the files in whatever virus scanner you're using.
Unfortunately this means that players trying to run an .exe file will get the virus warning...

If you want me to, I'll be happy to keep contacting the various companies, reporting the false virus warnings but I doubt very much that it'll have an impact.
Denk

Post by Denk »

P/o Prune wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:24 amIf you want me to, I'll be happy to keep contacting the various companies, reporting the false virus warnings but I doubt very much that it'll have an impact.
I can only say that Bit Defender was willing to fix it, which they did. The response you get can easily depend on which part of the company you get in touch with.

McAfee propose that users send false positive reports as described here:
https://service.mcafee.com/webcenter/po ... d2kqs13z_9

(I am not surprised, that some of those who give service to customers, are not aware of their own solutions.)

This is a bit of work, and I wouldn't expect P/O to do that for each Antivirus program. More over, the Antivirus provider may require that the one reporting the problem actually owns the antivirus program.

So I will still encourage all ADRIFT users to report false positives to their antivirus provider. They will most likely have a website for submitting such false positive reports.
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
antscoff

Post by antscoff »

Not sure if it's true of everyone else, but at least in my experience, Windows 10 is no longer reporting virus warnings for ADRIFT. I re-downloaded it just a week ago without ever receiving those warnings I was getting for a while. I'm thinking this issue has been mitigated by time.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Post by P/o Prune »

antscoff wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:24 am Not sure if it's true of everyone else, but at least in my experience, Windows 10 is no longer reporting virus warnings for ADRIFT. I re-downloaded it just a week ago without ever receiving those warnings I was getting for a while. I'm thinking this issue has been mitigated by time.
You may be right. I haven't had a warning for quite some time.