Synonyms for Locations with blanks (v5.0)

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.
dvsdata

Synonyms for Locations with blanks (v5.0)

Post by dvsdata »

Hello there,

I am new to this forum. I am learning ADRIFT and I am facing a first issue: I am trying to assign an alias (synonym) to a Location. It works when I define the following synonym:-

Cathedral --> Church

And then use my task:-

go to {the} %location%

But I cannot get the following to work:-

St. Paul's Cathedral --> Church

I keep getting:-

I did not understand the word "st.".

I have tried with quotes but it did not work. Is there a way around this? I searched the forum a bit and found that some people faced the same problem with synonyms for Characters. In that case the solution was to use the 'Description/Noun' box in the Character dialog. Locations though do not seem to have such an option.

Thank you in advance for your support,

dvsdata
Denk

Re: Synonyms for Locations with blanks (v5.0)

Post by Denk »

I don't think synonyms can handle spaces. I think I instead would use static objects or just general tasks such as:
go to {the} [st. paul's cathedral/church]
or something like that. I agree that it would be good if locations could have several nouns like objects and characters.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
dvsdata

Post by dvsdata »

Hi Denk,

Indeed having specific tasks seems like a viable solution. Not sure about the solution with static objects... Static objects, one per synonym, and then a task that takes an object as 'destination' instead of a location? I'll try both approaches.

Thank you,

dvsdata
Denk

Post by Denk »

dvsdata wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:42 pmIndeed having specific tasks seems like a viable solution. Not sure about the solution with static objects... Static objects, one per synonym, and then a task that takes an object as 'destination' instead of a location? I'll try both approaches.
Note that each object can have as many "nouns" as you like (e.g. "st. paul's cathedral" is just one "noun"). Thus you do not need an object per synonym, only an object per destination.

I just thought of one more solution:
go to {the} %text%

Referenced text can then be "analyzed" by restrictions.
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom