ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Creative uses for the new background colour feature

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

Creative uses for the new background colour feature

Postby BBBen » Fri May 22, 2015 3:50 am

The latest release supports changing the background colour with <bgcolour> tags. Using vivid colours all the time would likely be garish and an eyesore, but strategic use of it could be cool. Obviously you could just have your background be all white with black text if you prefer that, but I'm looking to have a little more fun. Here's what springs to mind right away:

- Clear the screen, change the font and make the background white when showing some kind of paperwork, to make it look like a printed sheet.
- Drop in some text in earlier lines that is black, and thus invisible. Then briefly change the background and make it visible for a slightly spooky surprise - I'm definitely trying this one.

Anyone else got any suggestions for creative ways to play around with this?
BBBen

Re: Creative uses for the new background colour feature

Postby Campbell » Fri May 22, 2015 9:40 am

You could also make it flicker, by combining the <bgcolor> tag with a <wait X>, perhaps for an explosion. (You might want an epilepsy warning for that one tho!)
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby Lazzah » Fri May 22, 2015 11:44 am

And be prepared for complaints and criticism! :nerves:
OUT NOW: Run, Bronwynn, Run!
Current W.I.P.: Magnetic Moon
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire and The Lost Children
Lazzah

Postby Campbell » Fri May 22, 2015 12:05 pm

We can always count on you for a bit of cheer, eh Lazzah? Anyway, that's why we give the player the ability to prevent colours from being modified.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby BBBen » Fri May 22, 2015 12:23 pm

Fortunately the way I'm organising my next project, the text box only takes up about a third of the screen, so any background effects aren't too overwhelming anyway.
BBBen

Postby Lazzah » Fri May 22, 2015 1:48 pm

Campbell wrote:We can always count on you for a bit of cheer, eh Lazzah?

I do like to do my bit! :haha:
OUT NOW: Run, Bronwynn, Run!
Current W.I.P.: Magnetic Moon
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire and The Lost Children
Lazzah

Postby AndrewF » Fri May 22, 2015 2:11 pm

That's why I changed my current WIP so I don't change the colours, just change the font style. :)
Never appeal to a mans "better nature". He may not have one. Invoking his self-interest gives you more leverage.
- L. Long.

Current Work In Progres: "Voyage of the Starfarer." R=530, T=435, O=173, C=11, E=37
AndrewF

Postby BBBen » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:42 am

Just a little update, in case anyone's interested: I've decided to use a quick change to red for 0.1 seconds (per Campbell's suggestion of a flash) when the player gets hit. Because it's only a one-off flash and I only have the text screen taking up about a quarter of the screen it's actually quite a subtle effect, but combined with a sound effect I think it's quite cool.
BBBen

Postby BBBen » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:08 am

Another similar move I tried that is really fun - I've got a monster in my game that's a bit like a Final Fantasy slime (like a blob of goo with a face). It has a special attack where it can splatter a fighter with goo and poison her. When that happens in the game I have the background flash green for 0.1 of a second and a squelching sound plays, and the effect is really fun and effective. I'm going to combine it with graphics, too.

I also think, at least with my current layout, that a single flash presents no discomfort to the eyes. It's actually quite a subtle effect when the text box only takes up about 30% of the screen, as it does in my game. (The rest being graphics and the map.)
BBBen

Postby Campbell » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:27 am

I'm looking forward to playing this...
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby DazaKiwi » Fri May 27, 2016 11:18 pm

I just discovered a couple of bugs relating to background colours when trying to use them in a custom window.

The result of this code is the Red background colour gets shown in the custom window instead of the main window and the green bg colour is shown in the main window;
adrift Code: Select all
<bgcolor="red">..Main window...</bgcolor>

<window test1><bgcolor="green">..Custom window....</bgcolor></window>

Also if you swap the code around so its like this;

adrift Code: Select all
<window test1><bgcolor="green">..Custom window....</bgcolor></window>

<bgcolor="red">..Main window...</bgcolor>

This results in custom window having "NO colour" background just the default BLACK and the main window is red as it should be. Maybe not many people will use bg colours for custom windows but if you were going for say an old green screen monitor look with different shades of green for the custom windows to fit in with the main screen background then this would be an issue. At least the work around is to reverse the colours you want between custom window and the main window as to what you actually want and also making sure the custom window code is entered AFTER defining the main window background colour.

Wrote up an item for this..http://www.adrift.co/bug/19101
DazaKiwi

Postby Jjbee62 » Sat May 28, 2016 1:09 am

Another possible effect is to use the black text/black background effect and tell the player that they can see something that looks like writing, but it's too dark to see, or magically hidden. The player then has to use a spell, or light a match, or use some short term light source to change the background. If the player has, for example a book of matches, they might have to light a match 3 or 4 times to read the entire message, with brief bgcolor changes each time. With a limited supply of matches, this adds an element of tension. Do you use the match to see more of the message or save it for the next message?
Jjbee62

Postby BBBen » Sat May 28, 2016 12:18 pm

Jjbee62 wrote:Another possible effect is to use the black text/black background effect and tell the player that they can see something that looks like writing, but it's too dark to see, or magically hidden. The player then has to use a spell, or light a match, or use some short term light source to change the background. If the player has, for example a book of matches, they might have to light a match 3 or 4 times to read the entire message, with brief bgcolor changes each time. With a limited supply of matches, this adds an element of tension. Do you use the match to see more of the message or save it for the next message?

I like that one.
BBBen

Postby ElliotM » Sat May 28, 2016 11:13 pm

That is pretty cool, reminds me a lot of the experimentation that happens in Twine games.
ElliotM

Return to ADRIFT 5.0