ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Copy/Paste issue with the runner??

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

Copy/Paste issue with the runner??

Postby ice_wanted » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:01 pm

Hi Campbell,
People are experiencing issues with my latest game. Images stop showing and sometimes an error message is popping up. I've tried narrowing it down and after some testing, I've come to the conclusion that the issue occurs when you COPY/PASTE text into the Adrift Runner (and maybe a combination of how I included images). Somehow Adrift Runner doesn't like it. I have confirmed that it has nothing to do with the Tasks invoked, but with the actual action of copy/paste. Any ideas about what could be occurring?
Cheers

Edit: I was able to reproduce it quite easily in this TAF file. Here are the instructions to test:
1-Put the included image.jpg in "D:\my files\downloads\" OR update the player description to match the image location on your system (be careful not to modify the expression)
2-start the taf and type "x me". You can type "x me" as many time as you want, and the image should always display (if not, you've messed up the expression).

Now for the problem:
3-type "x me" in notepad. Copy the "x me" and paste it in the Runner.
4- When you type enter, you will notice a small delay in the response and maybe see the hourglass running for a few seconds.
5- continue typing "x me" afterwards a few times, after 2-3 times, the image will stop displaying (and never be show again).

If you do the same in my game, you sometime get a error popup, but I was not able to reproduce it with this simple TAF.

Edit#2: I've opened the following bug: http://www.adrift.co/bug/19038
Attachments
image.jpg
to be placed in d:\my files\downloads
image.jpg (3.8 KiB) Viewed 2039 times
test.taf
(14.65 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
Last edited by ice_wanted on Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
ice_wanted

Re: Copy/Paste issue with the runner??

Postby Lazzah » Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:31 am

Hi Ice,

I just tried this on my laptop (running Windows 7). Exactly as you describe, copy/paste X ME into the Runner and you get a long pause of nearly 30 seconds then the image appears.

What happened next on my laptop was that if you then typed X ME, the image would appear as normal, but type it again and the image would NOT appear, only the text! This happened every time you type X ME, exactly as you describe above.

I also tried this in one of my own games where X AMULET will display an image and exactly the same thing as I described above happens. I also tried restarting the game (without closing the Runner) and found that when typing X AMULET again the image would not appear, only the text.

However, the question I asked myself when I saw your post was: Why would anyone want to copy/paste text into the ADRIFT Runner anyway?! Is this a playing technique disabled players might use?

Edit: A thought: It might be a copy/paste problem in a different way. Are you aware of this bug in v.5.0.33.1: http://www.adrift.co/bug/19022 I too have had error messages popping up when playtesting my games because of this bug.
OUT NOW: The Lost Children
Current W.I.P.: Magnetic Moon
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire
Lazzah

Postby ice_wanted » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:04 pm

Hi Lazzah,
The reason is quite simple actually. In my game, players have to find a secret code composed of multiple parts. As with everything, the code is now readily available in forums and walkthroughs. So people are lazily coping/pasting the code in Adrift Runner to activate the secret scene. People have been reporting the symptoms, but I only made the connection when I did it myself while I was testing. As for your second question, yes, I know about this bug. I'm positive that the popups are not related. They only occur after a cut/paste.
Cheers
Last edited by ice_wanted on Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ice_wanted

Postby BBBen » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:23 pm

Nobody ever reported this problem with the codes in my previous games, so I'm guessing this might be something that has been introduced recently? Regardless, it'll be a bug I need to see fixed too; good to have it knocked down now because I don't think I would have necessarily found it in beta testing. It's hard to beta test for things only lazier, 'lurker' players actually tend to do.
BBBen

Postby ice_wanted » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:08 am

It may very well be related to how I've coded the images as a string in the text, embedded in a IF condition. Campbell will need to confirm.
ice_wanted

Postby Palmer » Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:41 pm

Hey Ice Wanted, and welcome to the forums! (Although a bit late) Also, let me take this opportunity to congratulate you on your first game! I have no solution to this problem, just wanted to confirm that people had that very same problem playing my game. It was also on the heavy side regarding images. Is this a memory leak Campbell?
Palmer

Postby Campbell » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:44 am

It's not a memory leak, but it is a strange one. Looks to be a bug in the actual Windows clipboard itself, just trying to find a workaround.
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby Campbell » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:57 pm

This will be fixed in the next release.
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Return to ADRIFT 5.0