ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Ideas/Requests for Video Tutorials?

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

Re: Ideas/Requests for Video Tutorials?

Postby Po. Prune » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:53 am

I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to have a thread with only the video tutorials and then a discussion thread where people can comment and suggest things on the videos.
That way we'll have all the tutorials gathered one place and it will be much easier to look through them than having to scroll through numerous comments.

Yes / no?
D-Day V.5 in progress 79Kb so far (slowly getting there)
Anno 1700 in progress 111Kb
Po. Prune

Postby ElliotM » Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:46 pm

Lazzah wrote:Only the first two have subtitles so far, the other 4 do not. :-)

I have created closed captions for all of them, so I don't know what to say. There were some automatic ones that I unpublished because they were garbage, but the ones I made should be named "English Transcript". You should be able to click on the CC symbol, select English Transcript, and then have the closed captions I made. If this isn't the case, I will be very disappointed.

Po. Prune wrote:I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to have a thread with only the video tutorials and then a discussion thread where people can comment and suggest things on the videos.

Eventually we can do that, for now, though, I don't think it is necessary because I've only done six so far.
ElliotM

Postby ElliotM » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:13 pm

Can anyone else test the closed captions? I really want to know if other people can turn them on, because I can on my computer.
ElliotM

Postby R2T1 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:20 am

I clicked on each of the 6 links and the CCs can be toggled without a problem. I used both Chrome & IE11 without issues.
Keep up the great work.
R2T1

Postby ElliotM » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:38 am

R2T1 wrote:I clicked on each of the 6 links and the CCs can be toggled without a problem. I used both Chrome & IE11 without issues.
Keep up the great work.

Thanks, R2T1, hopefully Lazzah will have access to those too.

As an aside to everyone, if any of these videos teaches you something new, I'd love to hear about it.
ElliotM

Postby Lazzah » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:19 am

Hi ElliotM,

On both my home and work laptops I can now see the captions symbol on the first three videos. However, clicking on them just toggles them on and off, there are no options. Both laptops have Windows 7/IE11. I see no captions symbol on any of the last three videos.

I tried going into YouTube and searching for the tutorials but the search engine couldn't find them.
OUT NOW: The Lost Children
Current W.I.P.: Magnetic Moon
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire
Lazzah

Postby ElliotM » Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:57 pm

Lazzah, all the videos are currently unlisted, so that is why you were unable to search for them. Three videos is better than just two, but this is really frustrating. :x

When I look at them in the Youtube Video Manager, they all have the same settings and the same number of published closed caption options, which should just be the one I made, as I unpublished the garbage automatic closed captions. R2T1 is from Australia, and I'm from the USA, so I guess I will need someone else from your region, the UK, to try out the CC option to see if this is a regional thing or not.

As another idea, I've edited the links below to force CC to be turned on by default. Once again, these work for me, but I'll need more people from the UK to try them.
ElliotM wrote:Videos so far (all with closed caption subtitles):

Cloak of Darkness Series:

Adrift 5 Basics Series (Focus on short 1-2 minute videos on a single feature):

Adrift 5 Intermediate Series (Longer videos that go into more detail):

What version of Flash do you have installed? If it isn't up-to-date, that might be related?
Use this link to check: https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player.html
Last edited by ElliotM on Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ElliotM

Postby Lazzah » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:12 pm

Hi ElliotM,

My laptop at home has the latest version of Flash player, but my work laptop has an earlier version. However, this doesn't seem to matter as I still can only see subtitles on the first three videos on both laptops.

BTW, highways is also in the UK, not Australia. Perhaps you are thinking of saabie (Adelaide)?
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire
Lazzah

Postby NickyDude » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:18 pm

All videos have the subtitles for me here in the UK, although the only video in HD is "Changing the name of your game". Not sure if the others are supposed to be in HD.
ImageI reject your reality and substitute my own...
NickyDude

Postby ElliotM » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:29 pm

Lazzah wrote:this doesn't seem to matter as I still can only see subtitles on the first three videos on both laptops.

That is so disappointing. What web browser do you use?

Also, I meant to write R2T1, who is from Australia. I'll edit my post to clarify.

NickyDude wrote:All videos have the subtitles for me here in the UK, although the only video in HD is "Changing the name of your game". Not sure if the others are supposed to be in HD.

Thanks for looking, NickyDude, but I'm not sure why that one is HD but the others are not. I may have changed some settings though.
ElliotM

Postby Lazzah » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:38 pm

ElliotM wrote:
Lazzah wrote:this doesn't seem to matter as I still can only see subtitles on the first three videos on both laptops.

That is so disappointing. What web browser do you use?

As I said in an earlier post, IE11. I also have Google Chrome, first time I looked at videos, it was the same result, but when I looked again, ALL the videos have subtitles - RE-SULT!
Lazzah

Postby NickyDude » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:51 pm

Oh, I'm using the latest FireFox browser.
ImageI reject your reality and substitute my own...
NickyDude

Postby ElliotM » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:06 pm

Lazzah wrote:when I looked again, ALL the videos have subtitles - RE-SULT!

Awesome, glad that sorted itself out. :)
ElliotM

Postby saabie » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:39 pm

I just tried "Adding locations via the map" with firefox on XP. closed captions are working.
A few observations I made:
If you create a location by double clicking then you can type it's name in immediately, which I find is a lot faster than opening it.
I could hardly see the text in the runner window, a different font/background color might be easier to see, or a larger font.
It may also be easier to see on a smaller display if you set your screen resolution a bit lower before you record it.

Campell also has a video for using the map, at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3rite9QHSA
saabie

Postby ElliotM » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:39 am

I hadn't realized that you could rename them right away, so I'll have to mention that in a future video.

To be honest, I actually rarely use this technique because the keys won't be derived from the names I give them unless I make them using the non-map ways. However, because I rarely need to reference a location's key directly, maybe I'll try it more often.
ElliotM

PreviousNext

Return to ADRIFT 5.0