ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Ideas/Requests for Video Tutorials?

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

Ideas/Requests for Video Tutorials?

Postby ElliotM » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:41 am

Hey all, like I mentioned in the other thread, I'm considering making video tutorials for Adrift 5. Or do you think doing a live screen cast would be more better? Or both?

At any rate, what topics do you all think would be useful in a video format? I have a microphone for voice overs, software for recording or broadcasting the desktop, and I can mix in screenshots and slides as needed in something like Windows Movie Maker for the final product.

ElliotM wrote:
Videos so far (all with closed caption subtitles):

Cloak of Darkness Series:

Adrift 5 Basics Series (Focus on short 1-2 minute videos on a single feature):

Adrift 5 Intermediate Series (Longer videos that go into more detail):
Last edited by ElliotM on Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
ElliotM

Re: Ideas/Requests for Video Tutorials?

Postby ElliotM » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:41 am

Here is a draft video of location editing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxEl0hnak3s

Some thoughts so far: I prefer short and to the point videos, so I'm realizing now that I need to break these up even more if I'm going to reach 2 minutes or under because I think a five minute video is too long when it is used as a reference. I probably covered too much to make it shorter.

Another thought I have is that I might want to create my own sample game rather than using Roger Firth's Cloak of Darkness. There are some pro's to using it because it is implemented in several other languages, making it easier to compare them, but not everything about that game seems appropriate for an introduction to game making, as getting some of the behavior right requires specific tasks and I also want to change the default inventory message with a text override, which isn't a basic item.
ElliotM

Postby ElliotM » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:09 am

Draft video of object editing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOV3v-7Ptb8
ElliotM

Postby NickyDude » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:48 pm

Thanks for these! Much appreciated.

Perhaps try to make them higher quality resolution. :)
ImageI reject your reality and substitute my own...
NickyDude

Postby ElliotM » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:35 am

I will see if I can record in a higher resolution or not. I have added closed caption subtitles to both videos now.
ElliotM

Postby ElliotM » Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:12 am

I plan on keeping my tutorial videos to around 2 minutes or less while focusing on one feature at a time. Here is one I did about how to change the name of your game.

What do you all think about embedded youtube videos vs using regular links? I could string a bunch of these together in a thread, but I don't know whether that is a good idea.
Last edited by ElliotM on Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
ElliotM

Postby Po. Prune » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:00 am

This is absolutely great. :D
I hope Campbell will add a new thread for just these. They will be a tremendous help, no doubt.
D-Day V.5 in progress 79Kb so far (slowly getting there)
Anno 1700 in progress 111Kb
Po. Prune

Postby Lazzah » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:06 pm

Nice one ElliotM!

The subtitles make all the difference to someone deaf like me.
OUT NOW: The Lost Children
Current W.I.P.: Magnetic Moon
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire
Lazzah

Postby ParadoxGames » Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:47 pm

The text is so much crisper on the newest video at higher resolution.

This is a great idea, and my suggestion is to categorize them as "beginner", "intermediate" and "advanced" (or whatever) level tutorials, and if some tutorials build upon earlier lessons, to refer the prerequisite videos. For instance, "To make a door that is visible in two locations involves techniques covered in the video "creating static objects". This type of organization will be helpful so people don't me dive in over our heads.
ParadoxGames

Postby ElliotM » Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:18 pm

Thanks for the feedback, guys, really appreciate it.

What do you all think I should for the video descriptions? I like Paradox's idea of categories and links to prerequisite technique videos, but I was also thinking it might be important to back link to the main Adrift website or this forum. If any of you have read the Inform 7 Recipe Book manual, I like how it is indexed by feature and will eventually aim for a similar format with what I am making.

I turned off comments but am wondering if I should just leave them on so people can discuss them in context on the video. My thought is that I'd prefer that people come to the forum for a discussion, but I'm open to ideas on this. Right now they are unlisted and won't be discovered by searching, so only people from this forum are likely to find them due to the links only being here. Once I have them cleaned up and prepared I think I might want to turn them public. If I do, having comments turned on might be valuable for outreach and community building.

Po, I can make a thread at any time and make it a sticky, so that part is covered.The question I have though is whether it would be good to embed them in threads or just link them index style so more fit on a page with less loading time.

Lazzah, I already updated the first two videos to have subtitles, so if I could get your feedback on those that would be great, though I think I favor the shorter reference-video style at this point. However, I noticed when I transcribed them that I talk a lot and quickly. Did you at any point have to pause the video or rewind it because the subtitles were going by too quickly?

Paradox, it is higher quality because I actually switched recording software. I used OBS (opensource and free) for the last one instead of the XSplit Broadcaster demo (free but limited) that I used for the first two.
ElliotM

Postby ElliotM » Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:54 am

Two new videos: A short video on controlling the work space, and a longer video on creating and editing locations from the map view.
ElliotM

Postby R2T1 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:10 am

These look great.
I do prefer to see just the links in each post and not the embedded video as it would keep each message small and save a lot of scrolling.
R2T1

Postby ElliotM » Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:25 am

Thanks for the feedback, R2T1. I prefer the links myself, so I will stick with those.

I've decided to keep a running list in the original post. I'm currently editing a video on conversation topics and the Adrift Debugger.
ElliotM

Postby ElliotM » Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:10 am

Another intermediate tutorial, this time on the conversation tab and using the Runner Debugger to learn more about what is going on behind the scenes in your game.
ElliotM

Postby Lazzah » Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:51 am

ElliotM wrote:
Videos so far (all with closed caption subtitles):

Hi ElliotM,

Only the first two have subtitles so far, the other 4 do not. :-)
OUT NOW: The Lost Children
Current W.I.P.: Magnetic Moon
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire
Lazzah

Next

Return to ADRIFT 5.0