ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Questions about running Adrift online

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

Questions about running Adrift online

Postby Blackwell » Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:07 am

I'm looking for a parser-based text-adventure program that would let me mount games online, without requiring players to download any extra software to play them. From doing a few searches on this forum, it sounds like Adrift 5.0 lets you do that? If so, A) that's great, and B) how does hosting work? Do I essentially need to have a webpage of my own where I can host it?

Forgive me if this has been covered elsewhere. Any help would be appreciated.
Blackwell

Re: Questions about running Adrift online

Postby Campbell » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:02 am

All blorb and TAF uploads to the ADRIFT website can automatically be played online at play.adrift.co. I can also give you the server components if you want to host it yourself, but you need a Windows server for this.
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby Blackwell » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:12 am

Hi Campbell. Thanks for the prompt response! Hosting anything on a server's a bit beyond me, though I appreciate the offer.
Blackwell

Postby Campbell » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:29 am

I noticed that play.adrift.co was down (the server had switched IP addresses), but this is back up and running now.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby Blackwell » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:58 pm

Awesome, thank you! (I was wondering why the link was broken.)
Blackwell

Postby amphialus » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:01 pm

Campbell wrote:All blorb and TAF uploads to the ADRIFT website can automatically be played online at play.adrift.co. I can also give you the server components if you want to host it yourself, but you need a Windows server for this.

Hey Campbell, I'd like to host an Adrift made TAF on my own site as well. Can you send those components my way?

Also, if I do as you suggest, would it be possible for my friends using Mac to interact with this in their own browsers?

Thanks!
amphialus

Postby Campbell » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:13 am

You can download the WebRunner components at http://www.adrift.co/files/WebRunner.zip. Let me know if you have any problems.

And yes, people using Macs can play the games within the browser.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby DazaKiwi » Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:39 am

Campbell wrote:I noticed that play.adrift.co was down (the server had switched IP addresses), but this is back up and running now.

Looks like link/site is down again.

As a general question, would it be possible in theory to save a html version (as a complete webpage) of an Adrift game hosted and run it offline on your computer? I don't know much about how an Adrift game is converted to run in the browser, it would be interesting to know how. If it is possible to run offline, why not have an Android app created that uses perhaps the users default browser on their device to run Adrift games? and being able to save the game (complete webpage) on the app to run offline (on default or a specific Android browser best suited to running it properly).

Such an app could hook into the main play.adrift.co website with an option to download an adrift game you want to check out. This idea may not or may be doable? but i thought it might be worth suggesting because if it is possible then it would be the closest to having a Mobile Adrift Runner. Which would open up the doors to more people playing Adrift games, like when they are waiting for the bus, lunch break etc. On my android mobile i have an app called 'Text Fiction' http://www.onyxbits.de/textfiction but its only a z-machine interpreter, there doesn't seem to be any other interpreters for the Andriod at the moment, apart from standalone IF games you can buy or play for free ( https://play.google.com/store/search?q=interactive+fiction&c=apps&docType=1&sp=CAFiFQoTaW50ZXJhY3RpdmUgZmljdGlvbnoFGADAAQKKAQIIAQ%3D%3D:S:ANO1ljK1pJ4 ).

I have another which is better on my ipad called iFrotz which can open a few different IF file types. Sadly there isn't an Android version.
So returning to what i was saying before, if it is possible then the next question who would make such an Android app? i guess you could play an Adrift game on the browser via wifi or mobile network (once the play.adrift.co is back up again- has anyone tried when it was working to play a game on their mobile browser online?) but being able to offline and also have some sort of library (of saved complete html webpage of a game) to select a game and run its main html file to open it in a browser would make it more worth the trouble of playing anywhere, anytime. The closest thing to having a mobile Adrift Runner.

There are some offline browser apps that might do the trick in the meantime, if its possible to save the complete webpage on them, i could test it out once the site is back up.

Anyway just some thoughts and ideas.
DazaKiwi

Postby ralphmerridew » Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:23 pm

IIRC, ADRIFT WebRunner is set up so that all the logic is in the server; after the player enters each move, WebRunner submits that move to the server, adjusts game state appropriately, and sends back the resulting text. As such, the game will not run at all offline.

WebRunner could be written so as to run entirely offline, but that would require completely rewriting Runner in (probably) Javascript.
Bloodhounds can make you laugh and cuss in the same breath. They are endearing, faithful, and can sling drool ten feet in any direction. -- Virginia Lanier
ralphmerridew

Postby DazaKiwi » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:41 pm

ralphmerridew wrote:IIRC, ADRIFT WebRunner is set up so that all the logic is in the server; after the player enters each move, WebRunner submits that move to the server, adjusts game state appropriately, and sends back the resulting text. As such, the game will not run at all offline.

WebRunner could be written so as to run entirely offline, but that would require completely rewriting Runner in (probably) Javascript.

That is interesting to know. Thanks for your reply.
DazaKiwi

Return to ADRIFT 5.0