ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Can I get some pointers please

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

Can I get some pointers please

Postby Bad-People » Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:33 am

I'm very very new to this sort of thing and as such my ambition exceeds my reach. So I was hoping someone could walk me through a couple of events I want to set up. I have a couple of ideas I want to use but really don't know how to go about them. If someone could walk me through them it would serve to help me learn this system in a big way. Thanks.

I'm using a sci-fi setting and the first task is escaping the first room. This I have down, I've tested it and it works so don't worry about it. The next task is escaping the building, which is a laboratory facility. (The main exit is a none functional red herring)The sequence to escape goes as follows.

1:Once out side the main room go south twice to reach the Utility Closet.(Done)

2:Retrieve cutting torch from the utility closet.(Done)

3:Go North then go east to reach the Laser Lab.(Done)

4:Inside the laser lab there is a broken "In case of emergency break glass" case. It is empty. But attached to it by a chain is the small hammer used to break the glass. That's what you want. Use the cutting torch to cut the chain.(I don't know how to do)

5:Retrieve hammer.(Should be easy enough)

6:Go west once, then north twice, then west again to enter the bathroom.(Done)

7:Use hammer to break bathroom mirror.(Don't know how to do)

8:Retrieve shard of mirror.(Should be easy enough)

9:Return to Laser Lab(Done)

10:Place Mirror Shard on Laser Machine, Turn on Laser Machine, Burn hole in east wall to create an exit.(Don't know how to do)

Again, thanks in advance if you can help me.
Bad-People

Re: Can I get some pointers please

Postby P/o Prune » Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:55 am

Number 7 should be easy enough (and I haven't even had my morning coffee yet :wink: )
Create a task:
Command: [break/smash/hit][ glass/mirror] [with] {the} [hammer]
Restriction: Object hammer must be held/carried by player
Action: Move object mirror to room hidden - move object shattered glass to location (where ever the mirror is broken)

I guess you can do the same thing with problem #4:

So you need two different objects. One mirror and one shattered mirror (or pieces of glass)

By the way, what kind of chain is this since you have to use a cutting torch to break it? :wink:
D-Day V.5 in progress 86Kb (On backburner)
Anno 1700 Fourth beta test in progress.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Bad-People » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:13 am

Okay I've tried that. It seems to recognize the hammer but not the mirror. I get "Sorry i didn't understand that command" or "I don't understand what you want to do with the hammer."

The chain is just a short chrome chain used to keep the hammer in place. So there are emergency boxes that have fire axes inside them. If there's an emergency you use the hammer to break the glass on the case and take the axe. (In this instance the glass is broken and the axe is gone) To keep people from stealing the hammer they are chained to the case. I haven't written the chain yet, but if it's not cut than the hammer can't be taken.

EDIT: Durr, I forgot to put a space in the command line. :lol: I do have a follow up question though.If I put {} around "With" and "hammer" instead of [] on the command line, that would make those parts optional too right?

EDIT: Okay I got the chain part to work. Could stand to be cleaned up but it works.
Last edited by Bad-People on Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bad-People

Postby P/o Prune » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:29 am

Bad-People wrote: I do have a follow up question though. If I put {} around "With" and "hammer" instead of [] on the command line, that would make those parts optional too right?

Yep! Just remember that if you use { } around the hammer it means that the player can use the command >break glass not needing to be even near the hammer (unless you make a restriction that the player must be carrying the hammer.)

And don't worry about your mistake.. we've all been there, done that rofl
D-Day V.5 in progress 86Kb (On backburner)
Anno 1700 Fourth beta test in progress.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Bad-People » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:42 am

Okay I need the description of the case to mention the chain and the hammer before I cut the chain but not after. I suppose I could create a clone of the case with a different description and have cutting the chain switch them out. The problem I foresee with that approach is I made the case a container and if the player puts something into the case, and then cuts the chain, whatever was in there is lost.
Bad-People

Postby ElliotM » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:02 am

You could make a duplicate or you could use an Alternate Description - right click inside any textbox and you can choose to add an alternate description that only appears under certain circumstances that you define in the restrictions for that description.
ElliotM

Postby Lazzah » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:53 am

One thing occurred to me when reading the scenario above: Why can't the PC use the cutting torch to smash the mirror? I know that all of my playtesters would pick up on this.

With this in mind I have concocted a small demo where you can cut the chain with the torch, but the PC can smash the mirror with either the torch OR the hammer. I have also given the PC a rubber ball to carry so that you can see what would happen if the ball was used to try and smash the mirror. The demo illustrates the correct way to create general tasks which are then referenced in specific tasks, plus a few other techniques which you should learn to use.

I hope it is of use. Any questions, just ask.
Attachments
The Mirror Smashed.taf
(16.76 KiB) Downloaded 51 times
OUT NOW: Run, Bronwynn, Run!
Current W.I.P.: Magnetic Moon
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire and The Lost Children
Lazzah

Postby Bad-People » Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:39 am

The torch isn't a full sized brass oxy acetylene torch. It's a small, light, mostly plastic affair. Anyway thanks Lazzah. I THINK I can manage creating new tasks now. I'm still a little leery about the laser bit though. I'm pretty sure I can make it so the door to the east only appears once I do a certain thing. I made a very quick test game using a button on and off and it works. Problem is I'm not sure how to proceed with the whole laser cutting the hole in the wall thing.

Here's how I want it to work. If you turn on the laser without the mirror shard on it it doesn't do anything. It creates a beam of light but nothing substantial happens. If the mirror is on the laser machine (As a supporter) then it reflects the beam and burns through the wall. Now the thing is my test simple concerns an object and its state. (On or Off) I want the laser to burn through the wall once and the path is open from then on. So I guess the restriction pertains to "Event A has happened". I haven't messed with events at all yet so i don't know how they work. So I need it work one way without the mirror, another way with the mirror, and then probably stop working all together. Like say burning through the wall burned out the machine. And now the path is open and the machine does nothing.
Bad-People

Postby Lazzah » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:09 am

Hi there,

OK, I have added a new location to the demo which has the laser in it. You put the shard on the table and push the button. You can then go South through the hole to freedom.

I have programmed a simple event (Caught By Guards) that starts as soon as the game starts running. You have 10 moves to complete the demo, otherwise you are captured and taken back to your cell. An event can also be started on completion of a task.

I have given an example of creating an object property (Object is Bounceable) which I have applied to the rubber ball.

I hope it is of use.
Attachments
The Mirror Smashed v.2.taf
(18.5 KiB) Downloaded 51 times
OUT NOW: Run, Bronwynn, Run!
Current W.I.P.: Magnetic Moon
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire and The Lost Children
Lazzah

Return to ADRIFT 5.0