ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Specific task issues

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

Specific task issues

Postby Jjbee62 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:50 pm

I am having some problems with specific tasks.

I have a specific task for when one item (a brief note) is read that changes a few variables, implements some followup tasks etc.
That one is working fine.

In the same location there is also a file that can be read. After reading the file I want the file to be returned to the cabinet and the score increased.
I've tried creating a general task for read file (and all the optional commands), but it doesn't run. I've tried a specific task, but it only gives me the option to override read a brief note. I've tried a generic general task for read %object%, which then lets me assign a specific task to override read object for the file, but that doesn't run.

Running debugger, the read file command parses to the read a brief note task and the only thing that happens is the file object "when read" description is displayed.

I tried putting together a little demo, with 2 objects and 2 general tasks to read those objects. In my demo everything worked just fine, but in my work in progresss, the first task works fine, but the second one might as well not exist.

Any ideas?

Here's the demo that works:
Attachments
TaskTest.taf
(15.49 KiB) Downloaded 74 times
Jjbee62

Re: Specific task issues

Postby ElliotM » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:27 am

Nice work on the demo and on using the debugger. I took a look at your file and made some changes so you can see how to use specific tasks for this. When you make a specific task, the underlined blue text can be clicked to activate a drop down select. I was able to select either object just fine but it sounds like maybe you didn't know about that feature?

Because there is already a Read Object task in the standard library, I changed your two general tasks to be specific tasks that run after the Read Object task runs and unchecked the Task is Repeatable checkbox. This way the regular read response happens every time the player reads them but the setup actions only trigger the first time. I took out the restrictions because I thought they'd be redundant when the general Read Object task has most of the restrictions I think you'd want. However, if there are special circumstances where you want to do different things, you'd add them to the specific task to control when it runs. Hopefully this new file helps you get a handle on specific tasks, as they are pretty useful.

Your demo appears to be making a joke about the Inventory message? If you want to change that message, you can use a Text Override, an example of which I included in the file below along with the specific tasks.
Attachments
Jjbee_Specific_Tasks.taf
Made specific tasks out of your general tasks.
(15.54 KiB) Downloaded 70 times
ElliotM

Postby Jjbee62 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:44 am

It was more of a joke at myself and a reminder, that the characters need to be dressed.

The problem that I'm running into with specific tasks, on my project is that the drop down menu does not give me an option of "read objects" for the task to read the file and it doesn't give me the option of "read file", only "read a brief note". However, the task to read the note, gives me the option to read either the note or the file in the task to override. Very strange. I suppose it could be a corruption somewhere, or an undiscovered bug. Neither task has the generic "read objects" in the list.
Jjbee62

Postby Jjbee62 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:10 am

I think I've found part of the problem. For some reason the standard libraries I have don't have any task for "read objects." At least nothing that I can find. Somehow a general task (that I probably made) for "read a brief note" ended up in the standard library folder. I guess I just need to create a "read objects" general task and then put in the specific tasks to override.

The read command works, so maybe I'm missing something here.
Jjbee62

Postby ElliotM » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:12 am

That does sound strange. Did you check that you are running the latest version?
ElliotM

Postby saabie » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:22 am

"Read Objects" is in the file you uploaded, in the "Look and Examine" folder of the standard library.
Creating specific tasks to override it all works properly when I tried it with your file.
saabie

Postby ElliotM » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:46 am

Do you have Library items hidden by default turned on? That might be one reason why you didn't find it the first time.
ElliotM

Postby Jjbee62 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:56 pm

I think I've solved the problem.

I started my project immediately after installing ADRIFT, but the standard library wasn't on the right path. Then I started another project to learn on, got everything installed on the correct path, but the original project still wasn't finding the standard library. The tasks I created in my learning project ended up in the standard library the first project was using.

After making certain the right paths were included for the libraries, I restarted developer and now everything seems back to normal.

It's always the simple things.
Jjbee62

Return to ADRIFT 5.0