ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

A little help with text.

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

A little help with text.

Postby ParadoxGames » Wed May 04, 2016 8:29 pm

At one location, there are four tables that are numbered "table 1" through "table 4". The player character may sit at any of the four tables. There is a single command that is activated with the restriction that the character is seated at any table.

I want the task completion text to read, "You get up from %the specific object where the player is seated%, complete a particular task, and return to the table."

I'm sure theres a %function% that lets ADRIFT say the name of the specific object, regardless of which one the player is seated. But I'm a novice with this type for programming and functions in general. I'm sure this is so basic that many of you know the answer and can help. Please do so. Thanks.
ParadoxGames

Re: A little help with text.

Postby ElliotM » Wed May 04, 2016 9:19 pm

Depends on how you make the tables. If you sit on the tables, you should be able to figure out which table it is using Player.Parent, which would allow you to just do this in the task completion message: "You get up from Player.Parent.Name, complete a particular task, and return to the table."

I've not tested it but Player.Parent should return an object if you are sitting on one.
ElliotM

Return to ADRIFT 5.0