ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

[HELP?] About Character description and properties set

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

[HELP?] About Character description and properties set

Postby Bukibuki » Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:54 pm

I don't know if this is correct place to start a help me topic.

Hello. I have a character (Crow) and a property (life state) which is for all characters. Because you can revive dead things later on in game I want to be able to add alternate descriptions that change according to if characters are dead or alive.

I have a state property for characters:
state list:
Alive
Dead

Example, when you first come across the raven you find it dead and the description is going to say it's dead and everything but, I want an alternate description when player examines it after revived to say other things that match a raven that is alive.

I tried for the restriction to say 'if state set to alive' then...etc. But it doesn't show up. Only Raven-must/must not/ have property/life state. I mean the list of choices of that property doesn't show up to fix, only if it has or doesn't have the property itself. With objects it does give me the choice to set a property for them if I want to. Like if I had something 'broken' or 'fixed', I can set it to : if object 'elevator' must be in state 'fixed' and add the alternate description.

How can I do the same with characters? If it's possible I'm not sure. :)
Miss the past I used to hate
Hate the present I should love
Fear the future I should brave
and shut up, cats are cool.
Bukibuki

Re: [HELP?] About Character description and properties set

Postby ElliotM » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:50 pm

Not sure what exactly is going on, so please make a one room demo with your character and properties and use the 'full editor' to attach it to a post here in this thread.

If a character has been given a property, you should be able to reference that property in an alternate description like you were trying.
ElliotM

Postby Lazzah » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:05 pm

Why don't you just use a variable instead, call it Raven. Initially it will be 0 (dead) but in whatever task(s) the raven is revived you just set the variable to 1 (alive). In the character description you would at simplest have the default description as (for example) "The raven is " then define an alternative text as "dead" with the restriction Variable raven must be equal to 0 and another for when it is "alive", Variable Raven must be equal to 1

HTH
OUT NOW: Run, Bronwynn, Run!
Current W.I.P.: Magnetic Moon
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire and The Lost Children
Lazzah

Postby Bukibuki » Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:27 pm

Thanx you two. I'll attach a demo soon as I get hands on PC. Sharing it with sisters -.-
As for 0-1 variable, sorry for being a complete noob in such things, but will I be able to attach it to various character that I want revived or should I have separate for each one? I try to avoid clutter because then I'm confused. Went overboard with number of characters and it would be a mess :D
Bukibuki

Postby ElliotM » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:10 pm

If this is something you want to track for any number of characters, a property would be the best. To make use of a property, however, you'll have to make sure to give to all of the characters who need it or you won't be able to reference it. I'm hoping that when you make the demo you'll be able to get it to work, but if not we'll be able to look at it when you upload it. I find trying out small bits in new files can help me figure out how it works or what is happening, so this is a good habit to get into when you are prototyping or trying new things.
ElliotM

Postby Lazzah » Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:23 am

Bukibuki wrote:Thanx you two. I'll attach a demo soon as I get hands on PC. Sharing it with sisters -.-
As for 0-1 variable, sorry for being a complete noob in such things, but will I be able to attach it to various character that I want revived or should I have separate for each one? I try to avoid clutter because then I'm confused. Went overboard with number of characters and it would be a mess :D

You don't "attach" it to a character, you just reference it whenever you need to. TBQH I don't use properties like some of the more knowledgeable Drifters do so if you don't understand variables either you should listen to what ElliotM tells you so you don't get confused.
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire and The Lost Children
Lazzah

Postby Bukibuki » Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:16 pm

Lazzah wrote:Why don't you just use a variable instead, call it Raven. Initially it will be 0 (dead) but in whatever task(s) the raven is revived you just set the variable to 1 (alive). In the character description you would at simplest have the default description as (for example) "The raven is " then define an alternative text as "dead" with the restriction Variable raven must be equal to 0 and another for when it is "alive", Variable Raven must be equal to 1

HTH

I get this error the first time: Attempting to read index 0 outside bounds of array of variable Raven. Did it again without messing so much with array (have to make everything difficult) and leaving it be and it worked. Here's the outcome in a pic.

Running out of time again. Took me some while to get it to work lol, soooo dumb. Now to see how to get it to work with properties too. Probably tomorrow. Thanks for all help Lazzah.
Attachments
Καταγραφή.JPG
Runner picture
Καταγραφή.JPG (64.87 KiB) Viewed 3339 times
Bukibuki

Postby Bukibuki » Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:46 pm

ElliotM wrote:If this is something you want to track for any number of characters, a property would be the best. To make use of a property, however, you'll have to make sure to give to all of the characters who need it or you won't be able to reference it. I'm hoping that when you make the demo you'll be able to get it to work, but if not we'll be able to look at it when you upload it. I find trying out small bits in new files can help me figure out how it works or what is happening, so this is a good habit to get into when you are prototyping or trying new things.

Strangely it does help to make a clean testing, don't know why. Maybe because you focus only on the task at hand. Anyway. How can I give it to all the characters so it can show up? I thought that by specifying the property type to property of: Characters, type:state and state list: alive - dead was all I had to do.

It shows in the properties tab of the Crow character but cannot figure how to take advantage of it for alternate descriptions.

I try this in Alternative description: CHARACTER > CROW > MUST/MUST NOT....and then dead end. I'll just upload the file.
Attachments
test crow property.taf
(17.92 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
Bukibuki

Postby Lazzah » Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:32 pm

Hi there,

Please see attached file in which I have added restrictions and actions to the two tasks you created, which were empty. Also check the crow character, where I have added various restrictions for displaying the correct messages as I think you wanted.

Any questions, just ask.

I hope it helps.
Attachments
test crow property 1.taf
(17.98 KiB) Downloaded 66 times
Lazzah

Postby ElliotM » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:05 pm

Bukibuki, to give a character a property, go to their property tab and make sure your custom property is checked in the list, which means they have it. If it is unchecked, they won't have it. If you want -all- characters in your game to have this property, open up the original property and click the mandatory box. You may need to reopen any characters you have already finished after switching it to a mandatory property to refresh them, but after that all new characters will come with your property automatically.

Like Lazzah pointed out, your task restrictions and actions are all blank, so that means these tasks won't actually change the property. If you type in your custom tasks in the right order they will appear to work, but you can type them in the wrong order and the illusion is broken, but with the restrictions and actions Lazzah added in, the effect will maintain itself properly.

Building on Lazzah's version, I have tweaked the tasks to show you how character references work in tasks. Without character references, your task will only ever apply to Crow. I've added character references to both tasks and added another crow to show you how it works. This other crow also uses a property string to change its description instead of alternate descriptions. For simple changes, you can get by using the state property text. but for more complex changes, the alternate description approach is better.

One more note on making tasks, your kill and revive tasks don't have restrictions based on whether the character exists, the player has seen them before, and currently does see them. This means that, with the character references I added, a player can try to kill non-existent characters, characters they haven't met yet, and characters they aren't in the same room with and can't see. For testing it is fine, but the player shouldn't be allowed to have such power unless it is thematically appropriate for the story you are telling.
Attachments
test crow property 2.taf
character references in tasks and referencing property text inside of descriptions.
(18.08 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
ElliotM

Postby Bukibuki » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:10 pm

Godamn, you won't BELIEVE what the issue was in the end. I had it in simple mode and the property tab was not popping up there Aargghhh!!! Think it happened to me once before long time ago. O well...

I downloaded the files and checked them and still I could not see how the property was set because tab was no there (but restriction was how I wanted). I downloaded newer version of ADRIFT, installed, uninstalled and it was just a slimy checkbox in settings :roll: So dumb I swear.

Learned some new things from the experience though friends, so many thanxs for sticking with me. Also updated the ADRIFT that I was bored. Paid of overall!

About the tasks restrictions, no problem, I left them empty because I was getting really late :P
Back to the game for me now yayyy! <3 <3 <3
Bukibuki

Return to ADRIFT 5.0