ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Location name change not working

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

Re: Location name change not working

Postby P/o Prune » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:36 am

ElliotM wrote:I meant to write 'he' instead of 'you' but that first sentence doesn't make a whole lot of sense now that I reread it. If he is doing incremental saves using 'save as' to change the file name each time, I believe that will change the IFID every time, making Adrift see them as different adventures. I'm not sure there is a work around for making macros consistent during development outside of using 'apply to all adventures' which will include all versions of his adventure but every other game as well. I save a copy of the macro text in a text file when I run into this problem myself, though 'apply to all' would also work.

You were quite right Elliot. I did save my work using "Save as" rather than just "Save"
I checked the "all adventures! box and that seems to have solved the problem. Now I can even use "Save as" :yeah:
D-Day V.5 in progress 86Kb (On backburner)
Anno 1700 First beta test in progress.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Lazzah » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:17 am

All you need to do when you wish to save your game file is click the blue disc icon in the top left of the Developer. The game file will be saved with the same file name and IFID number. If no changes have been made to the game file, this icon will be greyed out.

If you do the above, you can untick the "Macro applies to all adventures" box.
OUT NOW: Run, Bronwynn, Run!
Current W.I.P.: Magnetic Moon
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire and The Lost Children
Lazzah

Postby ElliotM » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:35 am

True, but I find incremental saves handy for making sure I don't lose work or can go back to earlier versions if I broke something that was previously working.
ElliotM

Postby P/o Prune » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:40 am

ElliotM wrote:True, but I find incremental saves handy for making sure I don't lose work or can go back to earlier versions if I broke something that was previously working.

Whenever I make a major change / repair on my wip, I save it as "Test game" and when I've test run it and is satisfied that everything works as it's supposed to, I save it under the real name.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Campbell » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:44 pm

Do you think it's wrong to change the IFID when you do a Save As then? I have defined that as basically forking your game, but perhaps I should base this on something different, e.g. changing the title of your adventure. Or perhaps I should just pop up a prompt when you do a Save As to ask whether you want to generate a new IFID?
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby P/o Prune » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:57 pm

Campbell wrote:Do you think it's wrong to change the IFID when you do a Save As then? I have defined that as basically forking your game, but perhaps I should base this on something different, e.g. changing the title of your adventure. Or perhaps I should just pop up a prompt when you do a Save As to ask whether you want to generate a new IFID?

Wrong is perhaps a little strong, but it took me a while and a lot of teeth grinding before I learned that the save as changed the IFID. :wink:
Personally I would prefer the 2nd solution, the one with a pop up promt. Perhaps you could make it offer to remember your choice so you didn't have to tick the box every time.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby saabie » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:23 am

ElliotM wrote:True, but I find incremental saves handy for making sure I don't lose work or can go back to earlier versions if I broke something that was previously working.
Every time I save my game I increment a version number at the end of the name and keep every version for the same reason.
My current game is 218kB so I could fit another 8 million copies of it on my hard disk before I run out of room :haha:
saabie

Previous

Return to ADRIFT 5.0