ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

text from restriction not appearing

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

text from restriction not appearing

Postby Snicklefritz » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:45 am

Hi all,

I need another nudge in the right direction, please. This one's a bit more complicated so I'll do my best to explain.

Task A is a specific Remove Object task which calls Task B, a system task to compare against a variable using a restriction
Task A has one text output
Task B has two text outputs - one if the restriction passes and one if it fails.

Running the Adventure -
If Task B passes the restriction I get the Task B pass text followed by the Task A text. I have no problem with that.
If Task B fails the restriction I only get the Task A text.

Any thoughts?

Thanks and regards,
Snicklefritz
I feel more like I do now than I did a while ago.
Snicklefritz

Re: text from restriction not appearing

Postby Lazzah » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:15 am

Snicklefritz wrote:Hi all,

I need another nudge in the right direction, please. This one's a bit more complicated so I'll do my best to explain.

Task A is a specific Remove Object task which calls Task B, a system task to compare against a variable using a restriction
Task A has one text output
Task B has two text outputs - one if the restriction passes and one if it fails.

Running the Adventure -
If Task B passes the restriction I get the Task B pass text followed by the Task A text. I have no problem with that.
If Task B fails the restriction I only get the Task A text.

Any thoughts?

Thanks and regards,
Snicklefritz

Hi Snicklefritz,

It would be good if you could create a small demo of the above problem which you can attach to a message so we can see how to help you.
OUT NOW: The Lost Children
Current W.I.P.: Magnetic Moon
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire
Lazzah

Postby Snicklefritz » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:06 am

Hi Lazzah,

Thank you for your prompt reply.

The attach file demonstrates what I'm asking about

Currently the variable strength = 2

If you run the game and enter the command "move rock", you'll get two messages - "the rock has crushed you" (because the restriction passed in the check strength task) followed by "You have removed the rock from the pile" (from the move rock task)

If you change the variable strength to 4 or more I would expect to see "you have safely moved the rock" (because the restriction failed in the check strength task) followed by "You have removed the rock from the pile" (from the move rock task) but I'm only getting the second message.

Thanks and regards,
Snicklefritz
Attachments
TEST.taf
(14.93 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
I feel more like I do now than I did a while ago.
Snicklefritz

Postby ElliotM » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:44 am

Hey Snicklefritz, welcome to the forum. I believe Adrift fail messages only run when there is no other task to handle the output? In other words they fail silently but only if another task is successful. To solve this, split your task B into two separate tasks and call both of them from task A. Have one handle a failure to move the rock and the other a success in moving the rock. Then, depending on the restrictions and the value of strength, only one of them should run at a time and you should see the behavior you were expecting.
ElliotM

Return to ADRIFT 5.0