ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Multi-Choice Experiment *update*

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

Multi-Choice Experiment *update*

Postby DazaKiwi » Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:38 am

I have being doing some Multi-choice experiments. I have a demo to show where i have got so far for those who wants a look.

***update*** Ignore all the posts below- except for the last post where i have uploaded the latest version, which is more simplified.

It works for the most part but breaks down when you try to change the topic to something else, you get a 'Bill ignores you' message. I haven't got much experience with conversation nodes but these multi-choice topics need them to work. But i am wondering if the nodes are the problem where Adrift won't leave the topic when it is suppose to? or something else is going on here? I have a custom %text% task that omits the 'say' part, that enables you to enter 1,2 etc for choices.

Note upon a fresh restart either multi-choice set works, but as stated you cant change the topic without incurring that '..ignores you', the singular topics don't have any problems of course when changing topics

Hopefully this problem can be fixed or worked around. This method might be the easiest method to do Multi-choice in Adrift, if the problem outlined above can be fixed.

**OLD**

New demo V4 is the latest version and everything is working now, for single set multi-choice questions..
Attachments
MultiChoiceConvoDemo_Basic_V4.taf
Latest Version..update
(18.78 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
Last edited by DazaKiwi on Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:30 am, edited 7 times in total.
DazaKiwi

Re: Multi-Choice Experiment *update*

Postby DazaKiwi » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:41 pm

Not sure if edited posts gets updated on the main page as far as new posts go. So im posting again, to say i have had progress towards making Multichoice work properly in conversation. My previous demo version had it's intro over-written due to a bug with importing modules (I did a write about this a while ago and only has 1 vote so far- please add your vote. Cheers. http://www.adrift.co/bug/19126 ). So I have re-written intro to make more sense of the demo. Have since removed a module that was wiping the intro- so this time the info should be there..this time.

New version up: V4 of my Demo (see OP)

Summary of latest findings:

You can enter a multichoice set and at any time and change the topic midway through (either with selecting 4 Leave Topic or just asking a new question [in order to ask about the other multi-choice set you need to choose 4 in order to do so]) BUT you get only get to ask one new question (which outputs) to ask after that, before Bill will ignore any more new questions indefinitely. Why, anyone's guess.. :?

Notes:
In light of the problem highlighted above, as soon as Bill starts 'ignoring you' I made a some custom tasks to try and see if it fixes things. 'Enter into conversation with a character' just to see what happens and still get 'Bill ignores you' is the response. I made another to 'leave conversation with character', same response 'Bill ignores you'.
So this is close as i can get to making muli-choice this within conversations. I have another demo where i used tasks to do something similar outside of conversations, but it is a lot of work to copy them and reconfigure restrictions etc and using counters. Using the conversation method is by far quicker if only the 'ignores you' didn't mess it up eventually.
DazaKiwi

Postby DazaKiwi » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:10 am

I have a new demo for this, using a different method from the one above, if the problem i ran into with the first demo (see above) didn't have that 'ignores you' problem that eventually sets in, this that method would be the easiest to implement. So i sought out another method that does work but in a different way. Its a single set of 3 choices for topics that the player can go through them all or just choose one and then 'ask about' another topic.

I did branch out from this idea and added nesting choices within a topic, which had 3-4 sets of choices. I got it working in the end, but it needs more work to make it bullet proof, as my set counter system would go off track if player entered a none choice command. If i get it sorted i will release that demo version too, it is a little more complex. But would like to find a more simple approach. I think Adrift's built in conversation system and a MC system could work hand in hand, using each method when you need to.

So for now here is this basic (early build) demo.

While on the topic of conversations in Adrift, do you think with the standard build Conversation system, if as a player if there were keywords at the bottom of conversation topics displaying other related topic keyboards in a different colour would be be helpful or would ruin the fun?

example below

Say Hello to Guard

..Guards response text etc..

Ask about: crime in this area, hanging tomorrow, signing up
Attachments
MultiChoice_Basic_Demo_V1.taf
A different method from previous demo
(18.24 KiB) Downloaded 38 times
DazaKiwi

Postby DazaKiwi » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:07 am

I have a new version of my Multichoice Demo (see download at very top of this thread, V4). It is another step forward, that is it works properly now.

For those who aren't familiar with expressions you don't need them, i'm just using them to display choices in red that have already been made by player. The custom conversation task is important. I will keep trying with nested MC topics within a topic and if successful i will upload that demo as well.

What i really would like to get working is nested MC subtopics (that is in another demo i am working) within a topic still isn't doable without it breaking when i try to go back to parent set. I haven't gone bald just yet.
DazaKiwi

Postby DazaKiwi » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:21 am

I have a nested/sub-topic Multi-choice demo working. Previous version got broke somehow, this one is built on top of latest version of the basic demo. I need to come up with a better way (apart from creating a variable flag for each choice) that will be shown in red if already been previously picked. Current system only keeps the choices in red if you go through all 3 one after another.
Attachments
MultiChoiceConvoDemo_Nested_V5.taf
Sub-Multichoice Topic version..
(19.33 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
DazaKiwi

Postby DazaKiwi » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:29 am

and another update..

This one is much more simplified and straight forward, the expression code can be ignored (as with the other demo's) as its only to show choices player has already made.
I tweaked the custom 'Ask about' task to accept yes and no replies (no need to type 'say yes' etc, if there is more number choices then add this to the restrictions of that task.
What else is different is when player makes a choice and the outputs, instead of pasting in the choices again, i have the sub-node reset back to the parent topic where the list will display again.

I understand much better how conversations work and how to properly use Multi-choice with them, so this version is the definitive version and probably easier to grasp (i hope) for those new to conversations.
Attachments
MC_Simple_UploadVersion_V1.taf
Definitive version
(17.54 KiB) Downloaded 38 times
DazaKiwi

Return to ADRIFT 5.0