ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Search problems (not search [item])

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

Search problems (not search [item])

Postby ParadoxGames » Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:16 pm

ADRIFT has a nice search feature, to search the text bodies for words, phrases, etc. I've found it very useful.

But sometimes, I want to find, say, an object that's mentioned in a task. For instance, a task's ACTIONS may say, "Move baby powder to closet.", and if I forgot the task that moves it, wish to search for it, and any other actions that move it, change its status, etc.

Does such a search feature exist? Is there a ways to see all the tasks involving an object, a location, a character, etc.? I'm sure there is and I'm overlooking it. And if not, would anyone else consider this a useful feature to add to ADRIFT?

Thanks in advance!
ParadoxGames

Re: Search problems (not search [item])

Postby ice_wanted » Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:05 pm

If you try to delete the object, you'll get a list of all tasks and items were the object is referenced. However there is a limit of a few lines that will show in the dialog, so it's not perfect...
ice_wanted

Postby ParadoxGames » Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:39 pm

I've seen that happen, but I didn't want to risk losing the item and screwing the game up, even with backups. Just knowing my own luck...
ParadoxGames

Postby rotter » Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:55 pm

The best way I've found when I can't remember the location of a particular action is to dump the whole game as a module. You can then open in something like WordPad and search that.
Currently working on "The Blank Wall" in ADRIFT 5 and "Again and Again" in Inform 7.
Delron, the home of Otter Interactive Fiction.
rotter

Return to ADRIFT 5.0