ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Restriction: What is the diff between...visible and seen?

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

Restriction: What is the diff between...visible and seen?

Postby DazaKiwi » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:58 pm

I have an alternative desc. restriction that an object and i am using 'Player must have seen' thinking this is for objects that the Player has examined, rather than the other restriction option of 'object is visible'
to player. But it doesn't seem to be the case, the restriction still passes even though the object in the restriction hasn't been examined. So what is suppose to be the difference between 'seen' and 'visible'?

Is visible for objects that are inside of something? where the state is open for the container object is in?

I would like to mention to the Player an object in a room only if the player has already examined it, and i could do that with using a variable, eg. PlayerHasSeenPainting etc. But it would be handy if 'Player must of have seen' works with examined like this to begin with to save time having to create a variable, because the two at the moment seem the same 'seen' and 'visible'.

Any thoughts?
DazaKiwi

Re: Restriction: What is the diff between...visible and seen

Postby Kennedy » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:38 pm

Think visible means the player can see it right at there very moment where as seen means they have seen it at any point in the past or present, even if the object is no longer visible to the player.
Kennedy

Re: Restriction: What is the diff between...visible and seen

Postby ElliotM » Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:39 am

Kennedy is correct - visible is limited to the current game state whereas 'seen' will remember if the object was at any turn visible to the player.
ElliotM

Return to ADRIFT 5.0