ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

CSS Options

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

Re: CSS Options

Postby David Whyld » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:58 am

Personally, I just think it looks better having the commands in the text window and not in a separate window at the bottom, but maybe that's just me.
David Whyld

Postby P/o Prune » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:44 pm

Personally, I don't think it matters much.
I guess it depends on who's playing when it comes down to it.
D-Day V.5 in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Anno 1700 Submitted to the 2018 IFComp.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Lazzah » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:47 pm

Campbell wrote: You can set the margin width in Runner > Options > General > Margin. The size in in pixels, so it sounds like you want to increase this.
In all the years I've been using ADRIFT I never noticed that! :shock:

Campbell wrote:As for the input bar being at the bottom, I don't really get your argument. Aside from the first couple of turns where you'll have a big space, as soon as you have a reasonable amount of text displayed then your input would be at the bottom of the screen either way. Unless of course you regularly clear the output screen.

Many games in the old days would have a split screen, where the location text, including visible exits and objects, appeared in the top half of the screen and stayed there until you moved to a different location, etc. The input text and responses would appear in the bottom half of the screen and scroll up 'under' the location text. I am not sure if this is possible with ADRIFT?
OUT NOW: Run, Bronwynn, Run!
Current W.I.P.: Magnetic Moon
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire and The Lost Children
Lazzah

Postby Campbell » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:59 pm

Possibly, using multiple output windows.
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby OurJud » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:20 pm

David Whyld wrote:Personally, I just think it looks better having the commands in the text window and not in a separate window at the bottom, but maybe that's just me.

No it's not just you :)

Another thing I don't like - which seems to be the default for most of these builders - is having room descriptions that end up sitting right at the foot of the browser window (to which @Campbell alludes to on the previous page). It feels so unnatural reading the text there. Ask yourself this, when was the last time you were browsing a text-heavy website and stopped scrolling the part you wanted to read just as it appears at the foot of the browser? No, we keep scrolling the text up until it's sat at a more comfortable position (about half way up the browser window).

That's why with builders which have full customisation like Quest, I set a 300px margin-bottom, so that the descriptions never scroll beyond this point.
OurJud

Postby P/o Prune » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:01 am

Lazzah wrote:Many games in the old days would have a split screen, where the location text, including visible exits and objects, appeared in the top half of the screen and stayed there until you moved to a different location, etc. The input text and responses would appear in the bottom half of the screen and scroll up 'under' the location text. I am not sure if this is possible with ADRIFT?

I like that idea (and I remember it well, Lazzah) I'm trying to do something similar, although in my case I want the location picture to stay on the top half of the screen and the text and command input in the window below.
Check out Ghost Town or the D-Day teaser and yoy'll see what I mean.
D-Day V.5 in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Anno 1700 Submitted to the 2018 IFComp.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Previous

Return to ADRIFT 5.0