ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

CSS Options

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

CSS Options

Postby OurJud » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:13 pm

Hello, all. First-time user of ADRIFT.

I'd like to ask if this particular TA creator gives users full CSS control for customising the game's appearance?

I'm incredibly particular about how my games look, and if there's no option but to go with the default I'm afraid it's not going to be the one for me.

Thanks in advance.
OurJud

Re: CSS Options

Postby David Whyld » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:34 pm

It's a while since I used ADRIFT but I don't think you'll find many customisation options. You can change the basics like font size and colour, and add graphics and sound, but the actual look of the Runner is fixed.
##################################

In progress: Shadows of the Mind 87k and counting. ETA: sometime in 2018.
David Whyld

Postby Campbell » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:36 pm

What would you change?
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby OurJud » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:20 pm

Campbell wrote:What would you change?

Pretty much everything.

I'd want the text centered in the screen, I'd want the command box underneath the room descriptions instead of fixed at the bottom of the screen, I'd want the ability to hide room names, the ability to change default responses.

As text adventures go the default design of games in ADRIFT is one of the ugliest I've seen.

I'm not sure if when you publish a game things look different, but I just couldn't go ahead if this is the appearance we're stuck with.
OurJud

Postby David Whyld » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:27 pm

You can center text but the command box is fixed in place and you can hide room names and change the default responses all you like.

I have to ask, though, why would you want to center the text? I can't imagine playing a game with all the text centered.

David Whyld

Postby OurJud » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:18 pm

David Whyld wrote:I have to ask, though, why would you want to center the text? I can't imagine playing a game with all the text centered.

Just seems far more natural to read text from the centre of the screen to me. If you look at any webpage with a narrow width, chances are it will be centred.

It also doesn't make sense to have the command box fixed right at the foot of the browser in my opinion, because your eyes are constantly having to switch between there and the descriptions. I've never played any text adventure on any system that's laid out like ADRIFT.

Anyway, I've established that ADRIFT isn't for me, and that's all I wanted to do. It's a shame, because the actual game builder looks very good from what I've seen.

Thanks for the replies everyone.
OurJud

Postby David Whyld » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:38 pm

I'd prefer the command box to be in with the text myself and not in a separate window at the bottom (I think I might even have made a suggestion about this years ago), but I can't see myself ever playing a game with the text in the center.

David Whyld

Postby OurJud » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:29 pm

David Whyld wrote:[...] but I can't see myself ever playing a game with the text in the center.

I'm guessing you don't play that many then, as I would argue it's the norm.
OurJud

Postby David Whyld » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:48 pm

I've been playing text adventures since the 1980's when I was a teenager, so I'd hazard a guess I've played a few more than you. It isn't the norm to have the text centered in ADRIFT, Inform, TADS, Alan, Hugo, Quest or any other system I can think of. I'm curious as to what systems you've used where it's the norm to have the text centered.

David Whyld

Postby OurJud » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:21 am

I've also been playing TA since the 80s.

Maybe my memory fails me, but my recollection of playing these games on my Acorn Electron (yes, I was that kid whose dad chose not to buy him a ZX Spectrum like all his friends had) was that the text was centered on the screen. I admit I may be wrong.

I will argue, however, that Quest centres the text by default. The only other I've used is Twine which also centres the text if you go with the default template.

So, okay, I haven't faired very well in this argument, but I think generally, from an aesthetical perspective, ADRIFT is poorly designed. At least add some margin to the top and left of .body in the css, so that it's not tucked right up against the side of the browser window.
Last edited by OurJud on Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OurJud

Postby Duncan_B » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:01 am

OurJud wrote:I'm guessing you don't play that many then, as I would argue it's the norm.
It isn't.
Duncan_B

Postby Lazzah » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:35 am

OurJud wrote:Maybe my memory fails me, but my recollection of playing these games on my Acorn Electron (yes, I was that kid whose dad chose not to buy him a ZX Spectrum like all my friends had) was that the text was centered on the screen. I admit I may be wrong.

I think what OurJud is trying to say is that there was a wide margin around the edge of the text, as in the screenshot from 'Sphinx Adventure' below, which was one of the 6 games bundled with the Electron when you purchased it in the UK:

Sphinx.jpg
Sphinx.jpg (17.67 KiB) Viewed 4284 times

We have interpreted his 'centred on the screen' as meaning that it looked like this, which of course no adventure ever did, then or now:

Centred.JPG
Centred.JPG (36.19 KiB) Viewed 4284 times

Actually, he does have a point. Would it be possible, Campbell, to have an option to set a margin (say of 1 cm) around the text on the Runner?
OUT NOW: Run, Bronwynn, Run!
Current W.I.P.: Magnetic Moon
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire and The Lost Children
Lazzah

Postby David Whyld » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:05 am

Is that what he meant? I was trying to remember any game I've played over the years which has text centred like in that second screenshot Lazzah posted and couldn't think of any. Putting a thick border around the text is a lot different than centreing all the text. I know you can do that in Inform and it'd be nice to do it in ADRIFT.

David Whyld

Postby OurJud » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:38 pm

@Lazzah - thank you for going to those lengths to illustrate my point.

When I said centered in the screen, I won't pretend I didn't mean just that, but I certainly didn't mean I'd want the text centered in terms of its alignment, as seen in the second screenshot. Nor was I suggesting centre-aligned text was the norm.

Anyway, norm or not, I would choose to centre my text in the screen (fully justified, actually), just because I think it looks better.
OurJud

Postby Campbell » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:55 am

You can set the margin width in Runner > Options > General > Margin. The size in in pixels, so it sounds like you want to increase this.

As for the input bar being at the bottom, I don't really get your argument. Aside from the first couple of turns where you'll have a big space, as soon as you have a reasonable amount of text displayed then your input would be at the bottom of the screen either way. Unless of course you regularly clear the output screen.
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Next

Return to ADRIFT 5.0