ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Need Help with Escape The Room type game

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

Re: Need Help with Escape The Room type game

Postby Smithnikov » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:39 am

The game is...well, I hesitate to say FULLY finished, as I still can't shake that something could use some polishing, but if anyone who's helped thus far can give it one last look, see if anything glaringly wrong in the structure seems to stand out, I'd appreciate it,
Attachments
BloodSemlaRoughDraft.taf
(29.29 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
Smithnikov

Postby Lazzah » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:27 am

Smithnikov wrote:The game is...well, I hesitate to say FULLY finished, as I still can't shake that something could use some polishing, but if anyone who's helped thus far can give it one last look, see if anything glaringly wrong in the structure seems to stand out, I'd appreciate it,

Well, for a start when I open the game in ADRIFT Runner, or make any input, I get a error pop-up like so:

Error.JPG
Error.JPG (42.2 KiB) Viewed 1044 times

Also, in your intro there is a line "you feel binds on your legs and waist". The word "binds" is not a noun, use ROPES instead.

I won't play any further until you get the pop-up error fixed.
OUT NOW: The Lost Children
Current W.I.P.: Magnetic Moon
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire
Lazzah

Postby Smithnikov » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:38 pm

What does "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" refer to? :nerves:
Smithnikov

Postby saabie » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:47 pm

The Player character has the property "Location of the character" set to "At Location", but the "At which location" property is blank.
The UpdateStatusBar error occurs when ADRIFT tries to write the name of the current location of the player on the status bar, but as "At which location" is not set to a location reference it causes the error.
The second page of the map is completely blank so it looks like the location that the player used to start in has been deleted.
saabie

Postby Smithnikov » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:59 am

saabie wrote:The Player character has the property "Location of the character" set to "At Location", but the "At which location" property is blank.
The UpdateStatusBar error occurs when ADRIFT tries to write the name of the current location of the player on the status bar, but as "At which location" is not set to a location reference it causes the error.
The second page of the map is completely blank so it looks like the location that the player used to start in has been deleted.

Thanks! That seemed to take care of the pop up! Re uploading with that fix.
Attachments
BloodSemlaRoughDraft.taf
(29.29 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
Smithnikov

Postby saabie » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:32 am

Now you can't do anything because the player should be sitting on a chair and they are sitting on the floor.
Also, most of the restrictions in the rock object general task and the rock chair specific task don't contain any failure messages so if these fail you just get the default "I don't understand what you want to do with %object%" message.
Last edited by saabie on Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
saabie

Postby Smithnikov » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:27 am

Noted. Fixing those tonight. Probably should go back through and clean up some failure messages elsewhere too. ;)
Smithnikov

Postby Po. Prune » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:51 am

Smithnikov wrote:Noted. Fixing those tonight. Probably should go back through and clean up some failure messages elsewhere too. ;)

May I suggest that you ask for Beta testers before you release your game? I'm not trying to be impolite but it'll save you a lot of headache if you have your game tested before releasing it.
By getting a beta tester you'll have someone who'll go through your game and can report to you on whatever findings pops up.
Until Cambell creates a new section your best chance of asking for beta testers is either here on the forum under "Game Discussions" or here: http://www.intfiction.org/forum/index.php
D-Day V.5 in progress 79Kb so far (slowly getting there)
Anno 1700 in progress 111Kb
Po. Prune

Postby David Whyld » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:36 am

Just out of curiosity, did you test the game yourself before uploading it? It's kind of hard to imagine some of the error messages people have mentioned not being obvious to you from a simple play of the game. Getting beta testers is one thing, and admittedly can be a pain when you're new to the scene and don't know many people here, but at the very least you should thoroughly test the game yourself before releasing it.
David Whyld

Postby Smithnikov » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:35 pm

David Whyld wrote:Just out of curiosity, did you test the game yourself before uploading it? It's kind of hard to imagine some of the error messages people have mentioned not being obvious to you from a simple play of the game. Getting beta testers is one thing, and admittedly can be a pain when you're new to the scene and don't know many people here, but at the very least you should thoroughly test the game yourself before releasing it.

I tested things mainly by running it in the Developer's function. I should have been testing it in the Runner instead, it seems.
Smithnikov

Postby Smithnikov » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:36 pm

Po. Prune wrote:
Smithnikov wrote:Noted. Fixing those tonight. Probably should go back through and clean up some failure messages elsewhere too. ;)

May I suggest that you ask for Beta testers before you release your game? I'm not trying to be impolite but it'll save you a lot of headache if you have your game tested before releasing it.
By getting a beta tester you'll have someone who'll go through your game and can report to you on whatever findings pops up.
Until Cambell creates a new section your best chance of asking for beta testers is either here on the forum under "Game Discussions" or here: http://www.intfiction.org/forum/index.php

I'll do so, thanks.

Apologize for any grief I caused here. I'll leave it all in the hands now of any beta testers over on intfic.
Smithnikov

Postby Lazzah » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:36 pm

Smithnikov wrote:I tested things mainly by running it in the Developer's function. I should have been testing it in the Runner instead, it seems.

All you need to do while using the developer is to click once on the green triangle, top left. This will open the Runner and you can test your game properly.

I know your first game is only a small one, but you should learn how to produce a macro, which effectively plays your game for you. It quite easy to create one and it is a powerful debugging tool, as I am sure my fellow Drifters will agree (are you reading this, Finn??? :haha: )
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire
Lazzah

Postby Lazzah » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:47 am

Hi Smithnikov,

I sent you a PM with a list of bugs in your game, but you have not looked at it. :whistle:
Lazzah

Previous

Return to ADRIFT 5.0