ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Need Help with Escape The Room type game

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

Need Help with Escape The Room type game

Postby Smithnikov » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:46 am

Hey there. I'm quite new to the use of this utility, completed the tutorial, and I've been tasked with making a sort of Room Escape game using ADRIFT. While I've got as far as describing the objects and location, I'm quite at a loss on how to simulate the situation of the player character being restrained/tied and kept from various tasks. For example: the character starts tied to a chair, and cannot even stand up until the chair is tipped or rocked over and broken. What task or event combinations would simulate this, as well as other restricted behaviors (not reaching an object until handcuffs or bindings are rmeoved, ect.) Thanks in advance for suffering this noob question!
Smithnikov

Re: Need Help with Escape The Room type game

Postby Lazzah » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:07 pm

Smithnikov wrote:Hey there. I'm quite new to the use of this utility, completed the tutorial, and I've been tasked with making a sort of Room Escape game using ADRIFT. While I've got as far as describing the objects and location, I'm quite at a loss on how to simulate the situation of the player character being restrained/tied and kept from various tasks. For example: the character starts tied to a chair, and cannot even stand up until the chair is tipped or rocked over and broken. What task or event combinations would simulate this, as well as other restricted behaviors (not reaching an object until handcuffs or bindings are rmeoved, ect.) Thanks in advance for suffering this noob question!

Hi Smithnikov,

Welcome to the world of ADRIFT. Rather than go into a long-winded explanation of how you would achieve what you describe above, I have knocked together a small demo, as attached. This is just one way of doing this, I am sure that other more knowledgeable Drifters would do it differently.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask them.
Attachments
Prison Cell Break.taf
(16.96 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
OUT NOW: The Lost Children
Current W.I.P.: Magnetic Moon
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire
Lazzah

Postby Smithnikov » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:13 pm

Just what the doctor ordered! I'll start probing it over the weekend and let you know the results. :Thanks:
Smithnikov

Postby Smithnikov » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:45 am

It's helped me along some ways, emulating what patterns you used, but there's already something else I'm struggling to add in; there's a beer bottle I intend to have broken to start along the process of cutting another rope binding that the player has to deal with after getting off the chair, but the bottle won't dissapear and the hunk of glass to replace it always present, despite my giving the object orders to move out of the group when the bottle is kicked (the only way to break it).
Smithnikov

Postby Po. Prune » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:01 am

Smithnikov wrote:It's helped me along some ways, emulating what patterns you used, but there's already something else I'm struggling to add in; there's a beer bottle I intend to have broken to start along the process of cutting another rope binding that the player has to deal with after getting off the chair, but the bottle won't dissapear and the hunk of glass to replace it always present, despite my giving the object orders to move out of the group when the bottle is kicked (the only way to break it).

Two things.
#1: Have you "Move bottle to room hidden" as an action to the task "Kick Bottle"?
#2: You mention that the only way to break the bottle is to kick it. A piece of advice here. Don't make kicking the bottle the only way of breaking it. You are moving into a what's generally knows as guess the verb here.
What if the player throws the bottle against something, or drop bottle on floor etc.?
D-Day V.5 in progress 79Kb so far (slowly getting there)
Anno 1700 in progress 111Kb
Po. Prune

Postby Smithnikov » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:45 pm

Po. Prune wrote:
Smithnikov wrote:It's helped me along some ways, emulating what patterns you used, but there's already something else I'm struggling to add in; there's a beer bottle I intend to have broken to start along the process of cutting another rope binding that the player has to deal with after getting off the chair, but the bottle won't dissapear and the hunk of glass to replace it always present, despite my giving the object orders to move out of the group when the bottle is kicked (the only way to break it).

Two things.
#1: Have you "Move bottle to room hidden" as an action to the task "Kick Bottle"?
#2: You mention that the only way to break the bottle is to kick it. A piece of advice here. Don't make kicking the bottle the only way of breaking it. You are moving into a what's generally knows as guess the verb here.
What if the player throws the bottle against something, or drop bottle on floor etc.?

1: I haven't, but I'll try that.

2: True. I likely can save quite a bit of trouble with a standard bottle dropping option, couldn't I? :blush: I still want to keep kicking it to be a viable one though.
Smithnikov

Postby Po. Prune » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:26 pm

Smithnikov wrote:2: True. I likely can save quite a bit of trouble with a standard bottle dropping option, couldn't I? :blush: I still want to keep kicking it to be a viable one though.

That's no problem...
Write a general task where you type all the commands you want the player to be able to use.
D-Day V.5 in progress 79Kb so far (slowly getting there)
Anno 1700 in progress 111Kb
Po. Prune

Postby Lazzah » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:09 am

Po. Prune wrote:
Smithnikov wrote:2: True. I likely can save quite a bit of trouble with a standard bottle dropping option, couldn't I? :blush: I still want to keep kicking it to be a viable one though.

That's no problem...
Write a general task where you type all the commands you want the player to be able to use.

Smithnikov: I myself wouldn't put ALL the different commands into ONE general task. You should get used to creating a general task for each verb and its synonyms. DROP object is already in the developer, you would need to create a task for BREAK/SHATTER/SMASH object, KICK/BOOT object, THROW/TOSS/LOB object, etc., i.e. all the verbs you can possibly use to break the bottle.

You can save time when creating the SPECIFIC tasks which you would need to create, i.e. DROP BOTTLE, BREAK BOTTLE, KICK BOTTLE and THROW BOTTLE, by creating the first one, e.g. DROP BOTTLE. You then copy that task (right-click on it and select COPY) then you paste it three times in the same folder. You open the first copy and change the "Task should override:" to BREAK object and select the bottle as the object. You will need to change the completion message to the verb BREAK. You then do the same with the second copy (to KICK BOTTLE) and the third (to THROW BOTTLE).

Once you get used to doing that you can save a LOT of time when programming games. You should try to think of ANY verb the player might use to complete an action, you would be surprised what weird things players will try to solve a puzzle.
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire
Lazzah

Postby ParadoxGames » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:54 am

another helpful hint: Lazzah recommended including every verb you can think of as synonyms. I visit thesaurus.com for all the synonyms I CAN'T think of!
ParadoxGames

Postby Smithnikov » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:50 am

Okay, next thing;

part of the puzzle I'm thinking involves putting part of the broken bottle into a corkboard, that in turn enables the player to cut another restrictive item on them, namely ropes tying their elbows.

I'm getting an error message when in testing, I try putting the broken glass into the corkboard (I did make the corkboard a container enough to hold a Tiny object and the shard Tiny, and also added in the effect of removing the empty corkboard and shard and replace it with a Corkboard with Glass Shard in it.) I lastely added a general task to cut or rub the elbow ropes with the shard imbedded in the corkboard, but it says it's not sure what what I want to rub or cut with...
Smithnikov

Postby Smithnikov » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:08 pm

I decided to drop the blade in corkboard puzzle altogether, but once again, something else came Aaarggh up.

To progress, the character needs to remove a gag around their mouth, and to do that involves removing the corkboard and using the nail holding it up to do so. Problem is, after the chair is successfully rocked, the cloth gag dissapears entirely from inventory and is gone. Even making sure it was in the untied from chair grouping didn't help. What gives?
Smithnikov

Postby Lazzah » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:11 am

Smithnikov wrote:I decided to drop the blade in corkboard puzzle altogether, but once again, something else came Aaarggh up.

To progress, the character needs to remove a gag around their mouth, and to do that involves removing the corkboard and using the nail holding it up to do so. Problem is, after the chair is successfully rocked, the cloth gag dissapears entirely from inventory and is gone. Even making sure it was in the untied from chair grouping didn't help. What gives?

It might be a good idea for you to attach your game file to your next message so we can look at it and see what the problem is.
Lazzah

Postby Smithnikov » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:05 pm

RIght, sorry about that.
Attachments
BloodSoakedSemla.taf
(17.25 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
Smithnikov

Postby Smithnikov » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:46 pm

and yes, I built off of that demo you put together. If you wish me to re-work it otherwise, just say so and apologies in advance if that wasn't cool :(
Smithnikov

Postby Lazzah » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:21 pm

Hi Smithnikov,

I just looked at your game file. All it consists of is one location and 20 objects. You haven't created any tasks to manipulate the objects whatsoever - are you sure you uploaded the correct game file?
Lazzah

Next

Return to ADRIFT 5.0