ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Need Help with Escape The Room type game

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

Re: Need Help with Escape The Room type game

Postby Smithnikov » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:51 am

Lazzah wrote:Hi Smithnikov,

I just looked at your game file. All it consists of is one location and 20 objects. You haven't created any tasks to manipulate the objects whatsoever - are you sure you uploaded the correct game file?

You're correct, I uploaded the wrong file.
Attachments
BloodSemlaRoughDraft.taf
(19.07 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
Smithnikov

Postby saabie » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:49 am

Smithnikov wrote:Problem is, after the chair is successfully rocked, the cloth gag dissapears entirely from inventory and is gone. Even making sure it was in the untied from chair grouping didn't help. What gives?
It's not gone, it's on the ground (Use "Look" to see it).
It's on the ground because it is in group "Untied from chair" and your "Chair tips over" task contains an action to move everything in that group to the floor of the storage room.
saabie

Postby Smithnikov » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:13 am

saabie wrote:
Smithnikov wrote:Problem is, after the chair is successfully rocked, the cloth gag dissapears entirely from inventory and is gone. Even making sure it was in the untied from chair grouping didn't help. What gives?
It's not gone, it's on the ground (Use "Look" to see it).
It's on the ground because it is in group "Untied from chair" and your "Chair tips over" task contains an action to move everything in that group to the floor of the storage room.

Gotcha. I simply need to make sure that the gag stays as worn within those parameters then, right?
Smithnikov

Postby saabie » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:23 am

Simply removing it from the group should leave it worn by the player.
saabie

Postby Smithnikov » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:21 am

That did the trick, thanks! Now the prisoner is no longer losing their restraints out of the chair. :)

Things are coming together more and more, but now got another strangeness going on. I intended for the player to remove the cloth gag by using a protruding nail revealed after kicking away a hanging corkboard, but the specific task I wrote up for "Remove Cloth gag with nail" only gives the result of "I don't know what you're trying to remove cloth gag with" (exact wording?). Conversely, simply typing "remove cloth gag" when the nail is exposed does the task as intended.

Am I mistaken in using specific tasks for this or is perhaps the other specific task I made "Kick Corkboard" or...
Attachments
BloodSemlaRoughDraft.taf
(19.6 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
Smithnikov

Postby saabie » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:34 am

You need a general task for the commands:

[remove/take off] %object1% with %object2%
take %object1% off [with/using] %object2%

Your "remove cloth gag with nail" specific task needs to be an override of this general task.
saabie

Postby Smithnikov » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:13 pm

Awesome, I'm getting close to just about getting this down fully.

Now for (hopefuly) my final big puzzle hurdle. I have a key on a shelf that I want the player to not be able to reach without using their teeth (I even put in a Task for biting/taking objects with teeth), but not only does the object still have the ability to simply be taken without it, but using a teeth/bite commmand to grab it gives the default biting message.

One other quirk; the message for "remove tape gag" is giving me the default for "remove handcuffs". Where did I screw up in mixing up the messages.

BTW< thank you guys again for being patient with me on my maiden voyage here, it's coming out better than I hoped with your help :Thanks:
Attachments
BloodSemlaRoughDraft.taf
(21.02 KiB) Downloaded 35 times
Smithnikov

Postby Lazzah » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:33 pm

Hi Smithnikov,

Your TAKE HANDCUFF KEY WITH TEETH specific task is referencing the wrong general task, it should reference TAKE OBJECT WITH TEETH, not TAKE HANDCUFF KEY. There is no completion message for the TAKE HANDCUFF KEY WITH TEETH specific task.

A word about task priorities: I don't suppose the boffins will agree with me, but whenever I create a Specific Task I alter the task priority so that it is a smaller number than that of the General Task. I usually open the Advanced tab of the specific task and delete a couple of the numbers from the task priority. I find that the task will not work unless I do this.
OUT NOW: The Lost Children
Current W.I.P.: Magnetic Moon
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire
Lazzah

Postby Smithnikov » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:21 am

That sorted it out.

I also noticed the player can reach and turn on the water cooler while still tied to the chair, even though it's not in the Tied_To_Chair group. Since I got another couple items that will be added that shouldn't be, how do I put them out of reach?
Smithnikov

Postby Smithnikov » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:53 am

Okay, that was exceptionally derp of me to think the grouping had something to do with it. :blush: I'm going to try another work around.

Edit: My work around worked. I simply added a blindfold item that gets removed on escaping the chair and specified the items I wanted as hidden.
Smithnikov

Postby Smithnikov » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:36 am

I'm just about to write the two possible endings once the player escapes. My goal is to have the player achieve the Good ending if they called for backup on the cell phone, and a Bad ending if they did not. Can this be handled simply by having two different system tasks, one specifying that the Call Cell Phone event successfully having been run, and another specifying that the Call Cell Phone event NOT successfully run? Or do I need to monkey with the Variables? I have both in the current version so far, but no point in having it if redundant, right?
Attachments
BloodSemlaRoughDraft.taf
(24.28 KiB) Downloaded 35 times
Smithnikov

Postby Denk » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:47 pm

Smithnikov wrote:I'm just about to write the two possible endings once the player escapes. My goal is to have the player achieve the Good ending if they called for backup on the cell phone, and a Bad ending if they did not. Can this be handled simply by having two different system tasks, one specifying that the Call Cell Phone event successfully having been run, and another specifying that the Call Cell Phone event NOT successfully run? Or do I need to monkey with the Variables? I have both in the current version so far, but no point in having it if redundant, right?

I would make two tasks as you propose, since you need one to end in Victory and another in defeat. However, I would let the restriction be on the variable Backup_Called rather than checking that "Call Cell Phone" task has been successfully run, since you might come up with an additional command for "call phone" later (e.g. call police) and so you would have to modify the ending restrictions to reflect this, if you are not using variables. Hope this makes sense.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Out now: The Royal Puzzle, The Way Home & The Dragon Diamond
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Denk

Postby Smithnikov » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:40 am

Almost there! My game is getting close to where I want it, but I've run into something while doing some editing; I notice now that on start-up, the Player is no longer starting tied to the chair as they should be. Where did I screw up to edit that out, and where can I fix it back up?
Attachments
BloodSemlaRoughDraft.taf
(25.74 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
Smithnikov

Postby saabie » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:05 am

You have the "location of the character" property of the player set to "At location" instead of "On Object".
saabie

Postby Smithnikov » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:49 pm

saabie wrote:You have the "location of the character" property of the player set to "At location" instead of "On Object".

Thanks. Looks like that fixed it up. Can't think of why it shifted though, I didn't alter any aspects of the Player property lately. :?
Smithnikov

PreviousNext

Return to ADRIFT 5.0