ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

BUG: ADRIFT counts items in carried container as "Held"

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

BUG: ADRIFT counts items in carried container as "Held"

Postby Lazzah » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:29 am

Hi Campbell,

In my WIP I have a restriction on climbing objects where the PC can carry only one item if they, for example, want to climb up a ladder.

If the PC attempts to climb the ladder carrying only a container, say a bag, - with nothing in it - the PC will be able to do it. However, if there is any item inside the bag the PC will NOT be able to climb the ladder.

It is quite obvious that ADRIFT is counting any objects inside the bag as being "Held", and I consider this to be a bug and have posted a report.

EDIT: Campbell has popped out of his self-imposed exile to remove my bug report and state:

"I don't consider this a bug. I defaulted items within items to be counted within the "carried" result. There are arguments either way, but I think there are more scenarios where you would consider items within items carried by the player as being held."

This is messing up my game. I think that items in a container that is being carried should not be counted as being "held". The crazy thing is that if the container is wearable, the items in the bag if worn are NOT counted as being held, yet you are still carrying them! Have you not considered that, Campbell?

How about an option to chose either? I have added an enhancement request at: http://www.adrift.co/bug/19163
OUT NOW: The Lost Children
Current W.I.P.: Magnetic Moon
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire
Lazzah

Re: BUG: ADRIFT counts items in carried container as "Held"

Postby saabie » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:54 am

According to the wiki there already is an option for that.
%Player%.Held(false).Count should give the number of objects directly held by the character, not including objects inside of other objects.
saabie

Re: BUG: ADRIFT counts items in carried container as "Held"

Postby Lazzah » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:19 pm

saabie wrote:According to the wiki there already is an option for that.
%Player%.Held(false).Count should give the number of objects directly held by the character, not including objects inside of other objects.

Great! Thanks for pointing that out, saabie, but that is rocket science, which I don't understand - and don't particularly want to!

I dunno why Campbell didn't point this out when he deleted my bug report?
OUT NOW: The Lost Children
Current W.I.P.: Magnetic Moon
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire
Lazzah

Return to ADRIFT 5.0