ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Newbie Question: Hiding objects behind other objects

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

Newbie Question: Hiding objects behind other objects

Postby JamesTBond » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:00 pm

Hello, I just recently got started with tinkering in ADRIFT, and wondered if any more experienced users could help with with some ideas.

I have a room where I want to hide a wall safe behind a portrait. I want the safe to be completely hidden from the player until the portrait is pulled off the wall. What would be the best ways of doing that? Is there a way to create a task that will toggle an object's visibility?
JamesTBond

Re: Newbie Question: Hiding objects behind other objects

Postby Denk » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:22 pm

Hi JamesTBond and welcome to the World of ADRIFT :)

Whenever you create an object, its initial Location is [Hidden] unless you choose otherwise. To make it visible using a task, simply move it to the location in question: Make a task with e.g. the action "Move Object A Safe to location Room 1". If you want to hide the safe Again, move the safe to location [hidden].

Thus when you pull the painting off the wall, bring the safe to the location, and when you hang the painting back on the wall, move the safe to location [hidden] Again.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Out now: The Royal Puzzle, The Way Home & The Dragon Diamond
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Denk

Postby JamesTBond » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:50 am

Got it, thank you for the advice. :)
JamesTBond

Postby Lazzah » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:18 am

Hi JTB,

Just a follow-up to Denk's post. Make sure that the safe object is a STATIC object. These are used for objects which the Player Character (PC) cannot pick up. You should select DYNAMIC for any object which the PC can pick up.
OUT NOW: The Lost Children
Current W.I.P.: Magnetic Moon
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire
Lazzah

Return to ADRIFT 5.0