ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Leaping & Jumping over something problems

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

Leaping & Jumping over something problems

Postby R2T1 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:47 am

Hi, I'm trying to set up a situation where I need to LEAP or JUMP over a ravine. However I get one of two results.
First...
If I create a GENERAL task to leap/jump/go {over/across} {the} {ravine/gap} and then 2 SPECIFIC tasks to leap in each direction, ADRIFT allows me to just type JUMP and the required outcomes are achieved. However, if I type LEAP, I get the autofill kicking in with LEAP/JUMP/GO which is not desired. Changing the order to JUMP/LEAP/GO will allow leap but the autofill now adds the other verbs for jump.
Second...
When I remove the GENERAL task and set the 2 SPECIFIC tasks to override the library task JUMP, LEAP is not understood and Jump RAVINE (ravine doesn't get autofilled either) gives an error 'I don't understand what you want me to do with the deep ravine.'

I've attached my attempts below.

Hopefully someone can advise where I am going wrong. Ideally I want either JUMP or LEAP (or even GO) to work as expected. (similar to how I have coded the original GENERAL task above.) without the extra verbs showing up.
I suspect that this is partly due to creating a new verb and trying to use it along with an existing one. :x

Thanks
Attachments
ravine_jump_test_no_general.taf
Jump test without General Task
(15.28 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
ravine_jump_test_with_general.taf
Jump test with General Task
(15.41 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
R2T1

Re: Leaping & Jumping over something problems

Postby Lazzah » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:59 am

Hi R2T1,

IMHO the problem here is the autofill itself, it can cause so many problems for the player, it is not worth having it on. After a couple of complaints when my first ADRIFT game was playtested, I set the autofill in ALL my tasks to 0. Hey presto, no more complaints.
OUT NOW: The Lost Children
Current W.I.P.: Magnetic Moon
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire
Lazzah

Postby R2T1 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:54 am

Thanks Lazzah,
That might be one way out but I'll see if anyone else has any other ideas out there first.

A thought ... Am I able to turn off the autofill for just these tasks and leave all the other ones in the game as is?

Hoping...
R2T1

Postby saabie » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:46 am

You don't have square brackets around the optional verbs:

adrift Code: Select all
 [leap/jump/go] {over/across} {the} {ravine/gap}  
saabie

Postby R2T1 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:33 am

Thanks Saabie,
Don't know how I missed seeing that. I had even looked at the Wiki as well as some of my other tasks that have the correct brackets and still I missed it. :blush:
R2T1

Return to ADRIFT 5.0