ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

How can you append to short/long desc in group property?

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

How can you append to short/long desc in group property?

Postby DazaKiwi » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:30 am

In Location Group Everywhere if you tick Long Description and enter something, it replaces the the Long Desc. of every location in that group, this is handy for specific conditions like the Dark Locations group. But what if you want to have some text or expression append to the long (or short description) of all locations in a group, and to have the text in the property display before the Long Description? or and for Short Desc text after it.

Also i found if create a alternative description tab in Long Description in group properties, any text you enter will automatically copied itself into the default description as well. I was wondering if it was possible to use the append this to previous so it will display text after the main location desc (if left blank in group property) and append the text. You can't. Group properties isnt geared that way it seems.

Of course I can use specific task for Player Movement and run before or after to display text, which will do the same job sort of, but with this method you can only have the text display before the location name and description or after the long description, so you cannot have your text or expression code display after the location name and 'before' the location long description.

But i was wondering if you can achieve what i am trying to do in group properties with a clever method? or i am missing something basic as it can happen when its late.
DazaKiwi

Re: How can you append to short/long desc in group property?

Postby saabie » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:42 pm

There is indeed a bug in the group text boxes where you can't use the alternate descriptions.
Bug reports: 19134 and 18894.

I tested appending to the short and long descriptions without using alternate descriptions and that works for me. The following 3 locations are all in a group that appends "and I like it" to the short description and "This is a safe place" to the long description."
The Church and I like it.
This old church has huge holes in the roof.
A chest of drawers is here.
This is a safe place.
An exit leads east.

> east
You move east.

Middle of nowhere and I like it.
There are no buildings or plants here at all, just a flat plain of bare nothingness.
This is a safe place.
Also here is a big heavy box and a big heavy chest. Fred and George are here. Exits are east and west.

> east
You move east.
It is too dark to make anything out clearly.
saabie

Postby DazaKiwi » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:22 am

Thanks saabie. I was over thinking the problem. I am sure if have used this in the past. But yeah if you use 'append' or 'display after default' it wont overwrite your main text for the location. I kept thinking that was only for alternative descriptions.

Anyhow I made a little demo for those new to Adrift or group properties in general. This example you could easily make an alternative description within the location long description itself without needing to use a group, but just was something i came up with on the fly. Where horses enter the location and the group property will add text to the main long & short description. Group properties like this is handy if you want to change or add to description of certain locations such as if its raining and all outside locations will mention the rain when it is true etc.

Thanks again saabie.
Attachments
LocGroupAppendDemo.taf
(15.67 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
DazaKiwi

Postby DazaKiwi » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:50 pm

Done some more testing today with this. If you use restrictions within the Location Group (not using any alt desc- but in main window eg. Short Location of Location Property) even if the restrictions will pass it will crash Runner and more quickly so if the restrictions are not true. Its only when you have no restrictions at all it works.

This idea was a work around for the very broken ability to directly change the name of short location in a task, so the longer work around of this problem is not use restrictions in the group properties, but use them in tasks which moves specific locations that meets the restrictions into the location group.
DazaKiwi

Return to ADRIFT 5.0