ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Mentioning dynamic objects on objects

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

Mentioning dynamic objects on objects

Postby Po. Prune » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:56 am

If you have an object in a location, you get the choice to either specifically exclude (if it's dynamic) the object from the location description, or specifically list (if it's static) the object in the location description.
This is all very well, except that I would prefer that Campbell had used the same expression rather than excluding and listing... (well, never mind :wink: )
Here's my problem.
In my game I have a windowsill on which there are two objects (dynamic) I have excluded them from the location description but when you > X windowsill you get the message: a pillow and a candleholder is on the windowsill.
I guess it's ok, but it doesn't look very good when you have mentioned them in the description of the sill.
I realize that I could just leave them out of the description, but I prefer them to be there as it gives me the possibility to "colour" the description of the sill.
Is there a way to get around this, or should I just put it up as an enhancement?
D-Day V.5 in progress 79Kb so far (slowly getting there)
Anno 1700 in progress 111Kb
Po. Prune

Re: Mentioning dynamic objects on objects

Postby saabie » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:05 am

You could override "Examine object" with a specific task for the windowsill which only outputs %object%.Description
saabie

Re: Mentioning dynamic objects on objects

Postby Po. Prune » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:22 am

Thanks Saabie.
I went a different way, though. I realized that just because the pillow and the candleholder was standing on the sill (in the description) it didn't mean that I had to make them part of object, or positioned on object. So I simply made them part of the room.
D-Day V.5 in progress 79Kb so far (slowly getting there)
Anno 1700 in progress 111Kb
Po. Prune

Return to ADRIFT 5.0