ADRIFT Forum


The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Better way of doing things?

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

Re: Better way of doing things?

Postby PHatDriver » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:29 pm

Bugger. Nightmare. Thanks for pissing on my fireworks! What’s the name of your game, wanna have a look. I can understand most have already been done but you might have to give me a pass on this one, as it is my first. I am making concession, as to the way you both make these games and my limited understanding of it and to the valuable input from here. I admit, it will probably be total cr*p and only my kids will ever play it but should that stop me making it?

My game was only ganna have what I can give it – obviously! That’s why I’m here asking questions. Just bought twisty little passages, book £10 ebay too. No random combat, foes in one location to be defeated in one of three ways. I was ganna cheat with it as such. Just health based. Take less damage with armour on and give more damage with weapon. Eat food health up – I want the game to be completed by anyone. I’m not a fan of time based puzzles in adventures games myself.

Thought it would be an honour to drop an adventure to the community every once in a while. I do have a few ideas for games and they have more than likely been done too. People are still watching coronation st and Emmerdale tho!
Remanence, The Chosen. Expected release date: 2117!
65+kb and sill to finish part one! <- Nightmare
Carbide 100R window - XFX 750 Black - Asus Z170 AURA - i5 6600k
RX480 Saphire Nitro+ - Vengeance 2x8gb - Crucial MX300. [No OC]
User avatar
PHatDriver
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:47 am
Location: London

Re: Better way of doing things?

Postby David Whyld » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:21 pm

My game was The Warlord, the Princess & the Bulldog: http://www.adrift.co/game/922

There's nothing actually wrong with using ideas someone else has used before - unless you're copying something wholesale which is a bad thing. Someone else probably used the idea before me anyway.
David Whyld
 
Posts: 6546
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 5:15 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Better way of doing things?

Postby Po. Prune » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:10 pm

Lazzah wrote:Hi folks,

I do believe that if you want to write a decent text/IF game, you must be prepared to spend the time to get it right. Attention to detail is, I think, quite important. I've lost count of the number of times I have played a game where there are various scenic objects mentioned in the location text of the very first location and the response to examining any of them is "You can't see any 'such-and-such'!" because the author, in his/her eagerness to get the game finished, has not bothered to create objects for the scenery mentioned in location texts. IMHO this is just sheer laziness.

I see posts from Drifters like your one saying "there must be an easier way" of doing something, but if you want it to work properly THERE ISN'T.


Hear, hear!
Problem is that if you're anything like me, you tend to put too many details into the description to create an atmosphere and it's a H*** of a job to create responses for all the scenery objects mentioned in the description. But as Lazzah says, it's worth the time and effort. People get tired and frustrated after the 5th or 11th You can't see .....
D-Day V.5 in progress 79Kb so far (slowly getting there)
Anno 1700 in progress 111Kb
User avatar
Po. Prune
Moderator
 
Posts: 3947
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2002 8:18 am
Location: Denmark

Re: Better way of doing things?

Postby PHatDriver » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:04 pm

Public opinion (I’m really bowing to your experience here) seem to indicate that I need to ditch the combat. Which do you recommend?

How about a win lose draw type of deal. If you are carrying no object lose, object 1 draw or object 2 win. You don’t actually loose, as in game over, you lose say 10 health. If you draw you lose 5 health and if you win no health lost? Interact with enemy and you are informed as to what went down!

I like David’s idea, YOU HIT THE GOBLIN FOR 4 POINTS OF DAMAGE! THE GOBLIN HITS YOU FOR 2 POINTS… But seems I’m being pushed towards Lazzah way to be honest.

I said I don’t like time puzzles in games and it would seem I have put one in, kinda - lol. I want to force the player into making a fire. So I should employ a new strategy to remove the timer way of doing that.

The fun and games continue…
Remanence, The Chosen. Expected release date: 2117!
65+kb and sill to finish part one! <- Nightmare
Carbide 100R window - XFX 750 Black - Asus Z170 AURA - i5 6600k
RX480 Saphire Nitro+ - Vengeance 2x8gb - Crucial MX300. [No OC]
User avatar
PHatDriver
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:47 am
Location: London

Re: Better way of doing things?

Postby Lazzah » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:38 pm

PHatDriver wrote:Public opinion (I’m really bowing to your experience here) seem to indicate that I need to ditch the combat. Which do you recommend?

The way I handle combat in my games is very simple: If the PC is not carrying the correct weapon (i.e. they have a dagger but not a sword) or not wearing the correct armour (a chainmail habergeon or a shield, etc) or they haven't eaten anything before fighting to give them some strength, then when attacked they get killed!
OUT NOW: The Lost Children
Current W.I.P.: Magnetic Moon
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire
User avatar
Lazzah
Moderator
 
Posts: 2016
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:54 am
Location: London, England

Re: Better way of doing things?

Postby ralphmerridew » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:56 pm

I will recommend Lazzah's method in general. Randomized combat rarely improves a game, and a problem with the system seems to kill fun deader than pretty much any other flaw.

- Randomized combat is, by definition, random. Sometimes, the player will be doing everything correctly, but then gets a few bad rolls in combat and loses.
- Randomized combat can easily be tedious even when the player is strong enough to win the battles.
- Systems frequently don't give enough information to make choices about what's best, or even decide if their strategy is good.
(Example: A player is fighting against a monster with 45 hp that can take off about a third of the player's hp in one hit. The first round, the player misses; the second round, the player does 6 hp of damage. The player concludes s/he is outmatched, and tries other things. If the player's attacks have a 5% chance of hitting, and do 1d8 of damage when they do hit, that's an accurate conclusion. If the player's attacks have a 95% of hitting and do 5d10 of damage when they do connect, that's an incorrect conclusion.)

If you're not dissuaded yet, then:
- Play pretty much anything by Paul Allen Panks to see how bad a randomized combat game can get. (I "recommend" HLA Adventure solely because it's playable in-browser: http://ifdb.tads.org/viewgame?id=ba6xlbvc9gq3fks9 )
- Play Reliques of Tolti-Aph by Graham Nelson ( http://ifdb.tads.org/viewgame?id=nnhm4yp172oivtd9 ) to see how poor balance issues can wreck a game with a well-implemented combat system.
- Put a lot of thought into how much of the mechanics you will expose.
Bloodhounds can make you laugh and cuss in the same breath. They are endearing, faithful, and can sling drool ten feet in any direction. -- Virginia Lanier
User avatar
ralphmerridew
 
Posts: 2501
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2002 11:56 pm
Location: Missouri

Previous

Return to ADRIFT 5.0

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests