ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Default - Display only once problem

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

Default - Display only once problem

Postby DazaKiwi » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:26 am

What can cause a 'display once only' actually break? and always display? even if its ticked.

I have a location with a long description to display only once and the others are based on variables being true and are set to 'Start Desc with'
The first alt desc after the default has two integer variable as its restriction and according to Debugger they are the correct values so it should be the one displaying a second time. But Runner is still outputting the initial default description a second time even though Display Once is ticked.

*further investigation...

The online manual says this "When using the Only Display Once option, the restrictions at the top of the text box following the one you are displaying just once are effectively ignored."

Anyway, i removed the Display Only once from the main default, and changed the restrictions for the first alt desc to display 'Start with Desc' and this seemed to have fixed the problem. Still its confusing. I guess Display Only once is only useful if you only have one alt desc with no restrictions. If you have a any alt desc with restrictions then checking 'Display this only once' on your default desc will mess things up, so best to leave it unchecked and just use the restrictions to sort it out.

Also what does 'Return to Default' mean ( i don't have this checked but never used it in the past so just wondering)
DazaKiwi

Re: Default - Display only once problem

Postby Lazzah » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:27 am

DazaKiwi wrote: Also what does 'Return to Default' mean ( i don't have this checked but never used it in the past so just wondering)

Hi Daza,

This is something I suggested, what it means is that you can cycle messages and descriptions to add variety to your game. Say you have a LOOK THROUGH WINDOW command, you have a default description e.g. "You see two people walking past." and several alternate descriptions ("You see a bus driving by." and "A coach pulls up outside and the passengers all get off." etc), each set to "Display only Once" with the last one set to "Return to Default", whereupon the default description will be displayed again next time you enter the command and the cycle of messages will repeat itself.

I hope that makes sense! :?
OUT NOW: The Lost Children
Current W.I.P.: Magnetic Moon
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire
Lazzah

Re: Default - Display only once problem

Postby DazaKiwi » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:32 am

Thanks Lazzah for your reply, that's a good example and made sense. Cheers.
DazaKiwi

Return to ADRIFT 5.0