ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Weird Conversation Bug: Ignoring/Conversing at Same Time

This forum is the place to learn about and discuss ADRIFT 5. Feel free to mention any bugs you find here, but please also add these to the Bugs & Enhancements list.

Please also refer to the ADRIFT 5 Wiki for more information.

Weird Conversation Bug: Ignoring/Conversing at Same Time

Postby aroliver » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:25 pm

Hello, all,

I want to preface by saying that I've done a LOT of readin, in the manual, on the wiki, and in this forum, before creating a new topic, and I haven't found a solution to my problem.

Essentially, what I'm dealing with is, when I type "say hello to character" it says "character ignores you," followed immediately by the appropriate response. I've tried lots of things to fix this. I've put the priority at 1, I've deleted the introduction node from the character's conversation tab (leaving only the task in the task section), and it still persists like so:

>Say hello to Papias
--> Papias ignores you. Papias looks up from his prayers and smiles. "Hello," he says. "What can I help you with?"

Anyone else have this problem?
aroliver

Re: Weird Conversation Bug: Ignoring/Conversing at Same Time

Postby Lazzah » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:40 am

Have you ticked the "Is this character known to the Player" box in the character properties?
OUT NOW: The Lost Children
Current W.I.P.: Magnetic Moon
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire
Lazzah

Postby aroliver » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:55 pm

I have, indeed. From the very beginning, in fact. I'm just wondering why it's giving me both at the same time.
Perhaps I should also mention that this only occurs when the "say something to character" command is typed. When I use the "ask character about object" command, the ignore message does not happen, and only the proper response is displayed.
aroliver

Postby Denk » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:39 pm

aroliver wrote:I have, indeed. From the very beginning, in fact. I'm just wondering why it's giving me both at the same time.
Perhaps I should also mention that this only occurs when the "say something to character" command is typed. When I use the "ask character about object" command, the ignore message does not happen, and only the proper response is displayed.

I suppose you are using the conversation tab of the character to implement responses, since you are getting this response. (alternatively you can implement it using tasks)

I was able to get a similar behaviour by adding a topic of type "introduction" but leaving "General command" unticked. I thus get something like:
adrift Code: Select all
>say hello to hans
You say hello and Hans says hello. Hans ignores you.

I attach a small demo with 3 characters:
1. John - implemented using conversation tab - appropriate response
2. Anna - conversation added using a task - appropriate response
3. Hans - implemented using conversation tab - Hans ignores you!

If you tick "General command" and type in the relevant command, in this case hello, the "Hans ignores you." disappears. This is how John's response is implemented.

Hope this helps.
If not, I think you need to áttach a small taf-file reproducing the problem, so we can help you.
Attachments
conversation.taf
(15 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Out now: The Royal Puzzle, The Way Home & The Dragon Diamond
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Denk

Postby aroliver » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:47 pm

Tales of Aldoin.taf
(17.77 KiB) Downloaded 18 times

Thank you very much for your response. I had made sure to select the General Command box, and it didn't do anything to solve the problem. I also had reproduced the command as a task, and still no luck. I'll attach the file as-is so that hopefully you can provide me with some insight on what I've been doing wrong lol. Either way, I do really appreciate your help and your time!
aroliver

Postby Denk » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:19 pm

I had a look at your file and noticed the following:

1. You have made two "SayHelloTo"-tasks. One is in the task-folder. The other one is in the the standard library under conversation. Lets delete the one in the standard library. The following comments regarding the "SayHelloTo"-task refers to the one in the task-folder.

2. The "SayHelloTo"-task is set to "run after". This should be changed to "override".

3. Both in the "SayHelloTo"-task and in the conversation tab of Papias, you have set an action "say 'hello' to character 'papias'". This action should simply be deleted.

4. In the command-field of the conversation topic you have written "say hello to papias". Instead, simply write "hello".

Now it works. However, the response is actually implemented twice, so you should either delete the task or the topic to avoid redundant tasks/topics. I attach the fixed file.
Attachments
Tales of Aldoin fixed.taf
(17.68 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
Denk

Postby Lazzah » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:30 pm

Hi all,

FWIW, I never use the conversation tab on either the player or task properties. I create a specific task referencing the general tasks in the conversation folder. You should also take into account that players - especially Americans - will type SAY HI TO PAPIAS. If you look at my version of your demo, attached, you will see that in the SAY HELLO TO PAPIAS task I have defined the words to be understood by ADRIFT in the restrictions, i.e. REFERENCED TEXT MUST CONTAIN "HI" and REFERENCED TEXT MUST CONTAIN "HELLO". Note these two lines are separated with OR and have brackets around them.

Something else to be taken into consideration is if the player's first language is not English, they might type SAY TO PAPIAS HELLO. Therefore I have added a second input to the command line of the SAY SOMETHING TO CHARACTER: say to %character% %text%

One last thing. A long time ago one of my playtesters complain that they got the same response each time they typed SAY HELLO TO CHARACTER. It occurred to me that this would not happen in real life, so in the attached example I have set the default response to "Display only Once" and have created an alternate message which will display if the player types SAY HELLO TO PAPIAS a second time. Try it and see.

I hope the above helps?

Tales of Aldoin - v.2.taf
(17.83 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
OUT NOW: The Lost Children
Current W.I.P.: Magnetic Moon
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire
Lazzah

Postby aroliver » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:17 pm

You guys are lifesavers! Thanks so much for giving up your valuable time to help me out. I really do appreciate it. My understanding is that adrift has sort of been in limbo for a while and that the creator has gone AWOL, but I', very glad that there continues to be support from creators and moderators like yourselves. Thanks again!
aroliver

Postby aroliver » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:32 pm

In a related note, now that the problem is fixed, another problem has occurred. Whenever I say hello, it now gives the proper response perfectly, but I don't think it recognizes that I'm in conversation with the character. When I type "ask about object" after initiating and entering conversation, I get the response, "I'm not sure who you're referring to." When I type in the character's name, it works fine. Also, after asking the character something (using their name), the game does recognize that I'm in conversation. It seems the say something command in this program is very very weird and temperamental.
aroliver

Postby Denk » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:31 pm

When you are using tasks instead of the conversation tab, you must tell the program that you are in a conversation with Papias, because the tasks override any action done by the default say-command. You can do this by adding the action "Enter conversation with character 'Papias'" in the task.
Denk

Postby aroliver » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:20 pm

Thank you that worked perfectly! I appreciate all your help!
aroliver

Return to ADRIFT 5.0